Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have always been under the impression that the leaf spring eye->shackle and shackle->hanger bolts are special, and standard gr.8 hardware should not be substituted. Is this correct? one of my shackle hangers has ripped apart due to rust, and i am using this as the excuse to put on my sky shackle flip brackets. i know i need to upsize the diameter to 5/8 (16mm?)because i am using f-450 shackles, and oem bolts are $6.25, and $2.50 for the nuts. That is 35 bucks for 4 bolts!
any info would be appreciated.:beer

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
The only thing special about them is the head on the bolt. You can use any grade 8 bolt with a grade 8 washer and be just fine.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only thing special about them is the head on the bolt. You can use any grade 8 bolt with a grade 8 washer and be just fine.
i am guessing you mean they have the flanged heads vs. standard hex head. in that case, i think i am just going to order some grade 8, flange head, partial thread bolts and flanged locknuts from mcmaster.
this is the daily driver , so i don't have time, or a ride to hit the yards. :banghead

man, when i saw that torn hanger with the shackle hanging by a thread, i immediately thought of 1/2 hr. earlier when i was cruisin down the highway at 75, blissfully unaware... that could have been a mess. its a good thing i was on the way home from buying this:

now i can put it to use a little sooner than i thought. :toothless

·
Registered
99 Posts
Mine are starting to rust through. I probably need to go ahead and replace them. I worry about them breaking loose at speed too. I guess I'll have to drop the gas tank to get to the rivets (on the hangers) for grinding and to put the new bolts in.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine are starting to rust through. I probably need to go ahead and replace them. I worry about them breaking loose at speed too. I guess I'll have to drop the gas tank to get to the rivets (on the hangers) for grinding and to put the new bolts in.
yeah, wouldn't it figure that i got gas this morning, so there is plenty still in the tank for me to deal with. :duh

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
i am guessing you mean they have the flanged heads vs. standard hex head. in that case, i think i am just going to order some grade 8, flange head, partial thread bolts and flanged locknuts from mcmaster.
Yeah thats the only difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah, wouldn't it figure that i got gas this morning, so there is plenty still in the tank for me to deal with. :duh
go ahead and get a trans plate for the jack. that'll spread the weight out a bit

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
for people searching for shackle flip:
the spicer part # 576-3009 that Bronco1 has posted for the spring eye bushings (with 5/8 bolt hole to match the f-450 shackles) crosses over to napa chassis parts # 2746522
the napa part is probably easier to get locally. :thumbup

edit- here are the specs for the new and old bushings, thanks to Bronco1:
Spicer # 576-3009 specs:
ID of inner sleeve-.631".
Length of inner sleeve-3.500".
OD of outer sleeve-1.378".
Length of outer sleeve-3.055".

Stock Bronco bushing specs(Spicer #576-3363):
ID of inner sleeve-.568".
Length of inner sleeve-3.500".
OD of outer sleeve-1.378".
Length of outer sleeve-3.055.

The 3009 bushing is listed to fit:
'73-'79 F150 4x4 rear spring front eye.
'73-'79 F250 4x2 and 4x4 rear spring front eye(except crew cab).
'92-'02 E150 rear spring front eye.
'92-'98 E250,E350 rear spring front eye.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I purchased a new rear leaf spring hanger and shackle from Jeffs BroncoGraveyard. Great quality items. Dont get the bolts from them though, They are the wrong size. I ended up getting the right bolts from the Ford Dealership.

Quoted them both with rust bullet, but havent installed them yet.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
broncobum:I see you were able to find a bushing number for a NAPA bushing.Good job!I sent you a PM with the specs before i read this post.

bronco1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts