Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i and need some help on this one. I you didnt see my posts earlier this year, i have blown my 4 and last AOD i want to have in my rig. I even had it rebuild one last time and the dang thing would not shift out of first. I am done with AOD. ( Please dont do the aod debate here)

i have decided that a c-6 is the best way to go. What i need help with is will a c6 even fit?
I got a 87xtl with EFI 302 and BW1356 tcase.
Most posts i have seen mention c-6 tranys the have 351 or 400's
I just need to know if this is gonna work, and what to look for if it will.

I am prepared to do any mods beyond the newly mounted c6, Tcase/ driveline mods ect.

i just need to rid my poor rig of the aod for good!
thanks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
if you wanna stay auto do a c6,but i personally love manuals so i prefer the zf5,it's a stout tranny and is cheap to rebuild and find.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you wanna stay auto do a c6,but i personally love manuals so i prefer the zf5,it's a stout tranny and is cheap to rebuild and find.
the problem with doing that is i would want a doner bronco for it so to make sure all parts needed were there. i cant find a doner one cheap enought that wont cost me alot to get back here to colorado.

also i have been told by the local ford 4x4 junkyard that in his opionion they are not that great of trany, if i wanted to go stick to go to an older 4sp.
thats just his thoughts.

this rig primary function is wheeling. I have never wheeled with a stick cause autos are all i have ever had.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,357 Posts
The c-6 will work as long as it is made for a small block. The extension housing from the AOD will not fit the c-6. I've done this conversion on my 86 bronco about ten years ago. You will need to get the extension housing for the c6 to mount your transfercase. Also the neutral safety switch is different. You have to rewire that (not hard to do). The linkage i think is a little different but I didnt change mine. I used the AOD linkage. The gear select inside the truck was inbetween the OD and D on the column but it worked just fine. You will need to run a vacuum line to the modulator on the c6 as the AOD does not have it. I agree with you about the AOD being a piece....lol thats why I changed my out too. Also you can rebuild the c6 for CHEAP! The flywheel on mine worked just fine as I have read some people on here will tell you you'll have to change it too. But I did not. It worked for the c6. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The c-6 will work as long as it is made for a small block. The extension housing from the AOD will not fit the c-6. I've done this conversion on my 86 bronco about ten years ago. You will need to get the extension housing for the c6 to mount your transfercase. Also the neutral safety switch is different. You have to rewire that (not hard to do). The linkage i think is a little different but I didnt change mine. I used the AOD linkage. The gear select inside the truck was inbetween the OD and D on the column but it worked just fine. You will need to run a vacuum line to the modulator on the c6 as the AOD does not have it. I agree with you about the AOD being a piece....lol thats why I changed my out too. Also you can rebuild the c6 for CHEAP! The flywheel on mine worked just fine as I have read some people on here will tell you you'll have to change it too. But I did not. It worked for the c6. I hope this helps you. Good luck!
Thanks for the info, so you were able to keep your existing tcase? did you have to do any drive line mods or mounting mods?
vac line no problem, i could go run that part today! lol
suggestions on where to get the tranny? i have done an crate order before(mywife works at the local AAMCO) and right of the crate it did not work, but that was an AOD. nuff said there!

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,357 Posts
All the driveline stuff worked, the driveshafts both worked. The only thing that I had to change or get was the extension housing. Transfer case worked too. You could look for any small block c6, If you get one out of a car you'll have to change the ouput shaft inside the transmission. So look for one out of a truck, much easier. I got mine out of the trading times. Rebuilding them if you do it yourself will only cost you about 150-200 if all the gears are fine.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the driveline stuff worked, the driveshafts both worked. The only thing that I had to change or get was the extension housing. Transfer case worked too. You could look for any small block c6, If you get one out of a car you'll have to change the ouput shaft inside the transmission. So look for one out of a truck, much easier. I got mine out of the trading times. Rebuilding them if you do it yourself will only cost you about 150-200 if all the gears are fine.

Thanks! FYI..... i do have a 6 inch lift on it as well.

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,357 Posts
I dont think you'll have a problem. Mine didnt have a lift so I don't know if you'll have to extended any of your driveshafts but my guess is that if they are already long enough you shouldn't have a problem. Too bad I still didnt have my old one...lol.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
finally got the c-6 and got to bolting it up, every thing seem like it gonna work great, but the after i got it bolted up the engine would not turn. pulled it out and restabed it and still will not turn. i think the difference on an 86-87 flywheel is gonna make the difference, looks like im gonna have to change it out. gonna pull the tranny back out and pull the flywheel off and check next week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts