Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I have found out that a dana 60 is smaller dia than a ford 9". So I got new u bolts for the 60. The top spring plates from the donor truck won't work due to narrower spring with. My new u bolts seem to fit into the holes on the stock bronco plates but I know they are for a bigger dia axle. Will this have negative effect on anything? There is enough material to fudge the bolt holes in a little.

I went with 5/8" bolts witch is what the donor had.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
You could probably get by with opening the holes up on the plates just a little but I would look into replacing them ASAP with some beefier ones like these: http://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/3F-UPLT.html

$40.00 is cheap insurance. Just make sure you re-check the torque on the U-Bolt nuts after you have about 50 - 100 miles on the vehicle and everything has settled in. I double nutted my U-Bolts after the 100 mile check just to make sure they don't back off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
New top plates

I will have to do that. Just tried it out. The bolts went in ok. Problem is the bottom leaf (the thick short one) is hitting my u bolts. That is causing my u bolt not to go in straight. I thought about grinding the spring out for clearance but don't think that is a good idea. Looks like new top plates. Might have worked if I stuck with 9/16".:banghead

·
Premium Member
3,167 Posts
So I have found out that a dana 60 is smaller dia than a ford 9". So I got new u bolts for the 60. The top spring plates from the donor truck won't work due to narrower spring with. My new u bolts seem to fit into the holes on the stock bronco plates but I know they are for a bigger dia axle. Will this have negative effect on anything? There is enough material to fudge the bolt holes in a little.

I went with 5/8" bolts witch is what the donor had.
Been a while, But I thought they were both 3" tube.

http://www.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/ford/472005/198404/bigdisk3.jpg

IIRC, these are stock spring plates, course that is also a 79 D60 rear end.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No they are smaller on mine. It's from a 76 highboy. You can see it on the u bolts. I even tried to open out the bolt holes on the top plates to 3/4". They go on better, but rub the springs all the way. So new ones are on the way. Also got some new shock mounts.

I even took my 9" top plates to my buddy's house and set them up on one of his old '70s pickups with a d 60 rear. Sure enough, same thing. I micrometered mine at 3-1/8". The 9" is 3-1/4".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts