Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Ranger XLT 400m T18
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to get my Bronco's butt a little less saggy. It's not super bad, but could use some work. I don't plan to tow a bunch, except for occasional garbage dump trips and camping etc. I think max weight probably shouldn't be more than 3k lbs. You can see that even with an empty trailer the rear is lower than the front, I'd say it probably drops 2 inches-ish. So, with the hypothetical situation of gear in the back, kids in the seat (that are only getting bigger), towing a trailer with camping gear in it, and maybe eventually a fancy bumper/tire carrier with fuel storage, what's a good bet for stiffer springs with less sag, without getting lift, without having the ride too bad?

The options I was thinking about are:

1. Add a leaf style kits
2. New "stock springs" (mine could just be toast from age?)
3. Some kind of 1" or so lift that won't be too much rake when not towing.
4. Springs from some other Ford in the JY (maybe a F150?)

What say you?

I'm attaching pictures with and without the empty trailer to compare. I'd love to hear experiences or opinions on what is a good way to lift that saggy butt (just not too far).

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
I'd like to get my Bronco's butt a little less saggy. It's not super bad, but could use some work. I don't plan to tow a bunch, except for occasional garbage dump trips and camping etc. I think max weight probably shouldn't be more than 3k lbs. You can see that even with an empty trailer the rear is lower than the front, I'd say it probably drops 2 inches-ish. So, with the hypothetical situation of gear in the back, kids in the seat (that are only getting bigger), towing a trailer with camping gear in it, and maybe eventually a fancy bumper/tire carrier with fuel storage, what's a good bet for stiffer springs with less sag, without getting lift, without having the ride too bad?

The options I was thinking about are:

1. Add a leaf style kits
2. New "stock springs" (mine could just be toast from age?)
3. Some kind of 1" or so lift that won't be too much rake when not towing.
4. Springs from some other Ford in the JY (maybe a F150?)

What say you?

I'm attaching pictures with and without the empty trailer to compare. I'd love to hear experiences or opinions on what is a good way to lift that saggy butt (just not too far).

I know the saggy diaper look all to well. My 85 is lifted 6" with only add a leafs out back. It's about 2-3" lower than the front, with a winch and 37" spare in the back. I attribute this to 35 year old rear springs, and 15 years on the add a leafs.

So, that being said, some stock replacements for you would help a lot! You could go with springs off a 79 f250 as well. That would give you a bit more capacity, though may give you a forward rake when empty.

Just for reference, my long bed 4x4 78 f150 has a GVWR of 6300lbs. Not sure about Broncos or f250 from 78/79.

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,360 Posts
Just for reference, my long bed 4x4 78 f150 has a GVWR of 6300lbs
5996 GVWR for the 79 bronco
Sounds like a refresh is in order to me...u don't know if any of those springs or leafs were beat to death before she came to u or if they've ever been replaced and if so what with... Best to just redo the whole mess and start over imo. Have u ever done the rear shocks? Maybe upgrade to something a little stiffer... I dunno... I'm conservative and lazy so my list would start with shocks then springs, then if it still wasn't there, leafs possibly with an add a leaf to give you the stance you're looking for. Good ride in a bronco really is a relative term. These aren't floaty Cadillacs. They're hard stiff (yet not harsh spine jolting) rides meant to keep good wheels to ground contact.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,346 Posts
Gvwr, I should add, isnt all about springs, but transmission and differential gears as well. 4.10 gears will have a higher gvwr than 3.55. But generally, the higher the gvwr, the stiffer and taller the spring gets.

·
Registered
1978 Bronco Ranger XLT, 400/C6 92 K documented miles &1994 Bronco,XLT 85K original miles
938 Posts
I'd go with your 2nd choice (I'm looking at the same...) new springs prob come with new bushings. Springs support the weight the shocks control the rebound. Its the same deal I'm looking at.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts