Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents - I needs some help.

I have a 1996 FSB 5.0 w/ 127,000 miles. Not tool long ago I had to replace the distributor/plugs/wires. Since then I have notice that my vehicle lacks a little acceleration at highway speed. For example, if I am cruising at 60 MPH and need to quickly accelorate, it requires me to push quite a bit of the gas-peddle to speed up and often ends with the tranny dropping down a gear. I understand the purpose of the passing gear but the engine feels as though it is sputtering or hesitating to increase in speed. At times I hear what appears to be spark-nock. I have taken the truck in twice to make sure the timing is set properly and it is. I'm not sure what else could be the proble. The truck starts right up. Doesn't die on me. In town performance is fine. If I use higher octane gas then this is a less of a problem yet still noticeable.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
212 Posts
You are running a higher octane level in this old truck!! This is your first issue. Are you running premium or just the mid grade stuff as opposed to the recommended low grade stuff? I am leaning towards plugs on this one. Have you inspected them for spark knock? And you need to get us your fuel pressure at idle and cruising. If it sputters under a load you are running lean at high rpms. In town it will be fine as you are just cruising, using a higher octane level simply increases the flash point of the fuel thus it running a bit better. But you have a issue with fuel delivery and your plugs. Check the plugs first and make sure they look normal, then report back. If they loo shitty post pics so we can diagnose what issue you have based on how they look.

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
Did you check for codes? engine light doesnt need to be on to be make codes.
He said that he had changed the plugs on it not to long ago, what kind of plugs were used? Ive read a few times that the 96's are recomended the motorcraft plat plugs and not the copper ones.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I dont care if he just changed them, they can get trashed in one start up if the conditions are right. I want him to look again lol. Im wondering if he has fouled his plugs, plus if he thinks he has spark knock he will have ot pull em anyways to see what condition they are in to verify spark knock.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll pull the plugs this weekend, check them, and take a few pics....that's easy enough.
I'm pretty sure I put platinum plugs in, however, I will check that also and adjust accordingly.
There is no engine light on. I checked for codes just the other day and came up with nothing.

Could the problem be the EGR?

·
#1 Asshole
1,452 Posts
As stated above check fuel pressure. If it is leaning out under higher engine speeds you will have the same symptoms.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gents - I took the photo of the plugs but can't upload them. Regardless, they all look fine, except that two of the eight are copper and not platinum. So I will go and replace the two copper to match the other platinum plugs. Next, I will do the fuel pressure check.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
25,855 Posts
yo,
Ck the plug & Distr wire for routing; diagram is same as the one of top of the rad.
ACTION: If spark plug replacement is performed, the correct firing order and spark plug wire routing is essential to prevent the possibility of induction crossfire between cylinders. Refer to the following procedures for inspection of the spark plug wire routing and firing order. Properly reroute the spark plug wires if required.
The firing order for 1994 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8. On these vehicles the #1 and #3, or #5 and #6 spark plug wires must be separated to eliminate the possibility of an induction crossfire
To eliminate the possibility of the coil wire becoming disconnected, route the coil wire under the spark plug wires at the distributor cap.
Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order TSB 94-04-10 for 87-93 5.0 & 94-96 5.0 & all 5.8 - engine miss, spark knock, buck/jerk, surge and other driveability concerns Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/vehicles/registry/media/470416

1 - 9 of 9 Posts