1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
94 full size bronco
High Output FI 302
E4OD

Replaced motor with one I got from Advance Auto, put it in and it sputters, missing bad, changed out plug wires, and distributor cap, advance wants me to replace the distributor, said to bring the old one in and they would replace it as I got the old one from there. I tried pulling one plug wire at a time and after pulling all 8 none seemed to change the miss. Each time I pulled a wire the engine did not change that I could hear, but did idle up a tad after replacing it. New fuel pump, new fuel regulator. Checked the ignition module, advance said it was good. Took it to a dealer, Haley Chevrolet in town, had it for 3 weeks, replaced the mass airflow sensor, charged me 300.00, said they did not have an OBD scanner, still not right, carry it to another shop who said their scanner when connected said no connection, told me the main computer is bad.
Tried to set the timing, was told to dis connect the spout connector, but soon as I dis connect it, the timing light will not work, the number one wire stops firing. How can you set the timing by removing the spout connector if it cuts number one off or is it NOT supposed to cut it off?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Personally I'd let them fix any and all things they are willing to fix first before you started throwing your own personal money at it.

Try replacing the throttle positioning sensor (or at least checking to see if it is bad via voltmeter). My car had a weird intermittent miss and it was caused by the TPS spiking voltage b/c it had failed. It wasn't throwing any codes either.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think the firing order for the HO 302 is different that the regular 302. Make sure you have the correct firing order for starters.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do have the right firing order, but what would cause the number one plug to stop firing when the spout connector is removed

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
are you sure the distributor is installed correctly?

·
Registered
129 Posts
And would that problem be whats causing the truck to miss
Yes it would but sounds like that is not it. Have you put a fuel pressure gauge on it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts