Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, built 357W, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having a squeaking sound when rolling - sounds like it’s coming from the front drivers side wheel, but it’s hard to tell with the engine and tire tread noise - it could be middle truck area. It’s a squeak squeak squeak noise with rotation, and it’s speed related, not rpm. I found a thread here that had similar symptoms and lubing the two piece wheel seals fixed it.

I’ve just finished pulling the drivers side hub and rotor - everything from the spindle out. I greased up the two piece wheel seals, repacked the bearings, and reinstalled everything along with new brake pads that were sorely needed. Any ideas? It wasn’t the brake pads btw, it still makes the noise with the new pads.

I’m thinking it could be a rear u joint, but those are only 1.5 year old Spicers, and recently greased, so less likely but not sure. CV ball - same. The noise is loud when getting up to 20-60 mph, hearing the echo off of buildings, it’s pretty loud. Front u joint? Shouldn’t be spinning but if seized maybe?

·
Registered
522 Posts
You can rule out the brakes if it squeaks when they are applied. Could it be the front wheel dust shield scraping the inside of the wheel?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I’m having a squeaking sound when rolling - sounds like it’s coming from the front drivers side wheel, but it’s hard to tell with the engine and tire tread noise - it could be middle truck area. It’s a squeak squeak squeak noise with rotation, and it’s speed related, not rpm. I found a thread here that had similar symptoms and lubing the two piece wheel seals fixed it.

I’ve just finished pulling the drivers side hub and rotor - everything from the spindle out. I greased up the two piece wheel seals, repacked the bearings, and reinstalled everything along with new brake pads that were sorely needed. Any ideas? It wasn’t the brake pads btw, it still makes the noise with the new pads.

I’m thinking it could be a rear u joint, but those are only 1.5 year old Spicers, and recently greased, so less likely but not sure. CV ball - same. The noise is loud when getting up to 20-60 mph, hearing the echo off of buildings, it’s pretty loud. Front u joint? Shouldn’t be spinning but if seized maybe?
most likely its the Ujoints, im having the same problem but in the rear and its driving me INSANE !!!! i ordered some moog ones and should be here by friday, all i can say is if it has nipple try and re grease it

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You can rule out the brakes if it squeaks when they are applied. Could it be the front wheel dust shield scraping the inside of the wheel?
When it started, I was literally driving straight down a road - all good, and then it just started all of a sudden. So I don’t think it’s the backing plate / shield.

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
most likely its the Ujoints, im having the same problem but in the rear and its driving me INSANE !!!! i ordered some moog ones and should be here by friday, all i can say is if it has nipple try and re grease it
Gonna jack up the rear and put it in gear and see if I hear it. Replacing u joints already seems ridiculous.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Gonna jack up the rear and put it in gear and see if I hear it. Replacing u joints already seems ridiculous.
i re grease the u joints and they went down just abit but not alot, so its most likely that

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Probably not, but because we’re brainstorming:

I had a squeak mostly tied to rotation that I couldn’t figure out for awhile. Wound up being the slinger on my 9” rear diff was loose. Glued it to the back of the yoke and no more noise. Don’t know if the 8.8 runs something similar.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Probably not, but because we’re brainstorming:

I had a squeak mostly tied to rotation that I couldn’t figure out for awhile. Wound up being the slinger on my 9” rear diff was loose. Glued it to the back of the yoke and no more noise. Don’t know if the 8.8 runs something similar.
i was thinking it was something in the diff as well but thats a massive job, need to take the rear diff and shafts out, drive shaft, get a MASSIVE breaker bar and/or impact gun just to get to that, maybe a few bottles of propane to get it free, yeah abit much for me

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I removed the driveshaft and put it on the bench to inspect it more closely. It ended up being the forward-most U joint on the driveshaft squeaking, so since all the zerks were super easy to access, I filled them all with grease until it started to pop out of the caps just a bit. I took the grease needle and got a few pumps into the centering ball area as well. No more noise now on the bench - I’ll drive it tomorrow but I think it’ll be good now.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
16,141 Posts
Hopefully that one u joint will hold up despite its short time low on grease.
with your luck, probably not..hah..

on the plus side it's an easy fix..

Reactions: MS88Bronc

·
Registered
790 Posts
thats what i though, i hope my new u joints get here soon cause i re greased mine and still gave problems so ima change 2 out of the 3 and hopefully that will fix it, didnt have enough to buy the 3rd one :/

·
Registered
445 Posts
I shared this on another post and I'm not sure if it applies but this is what I found out while investigating a squeal at low speed from my '96.

Attachments

·
The Tennessee Warden
5,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I shared this on another post and I'm not sure if it applies but this is what I found out while investigating a squeal at low speed from my '96.
I read that post a while back when I was looking into this - that’s what actually prompted me to pull the hubs and rotors to check out the seals. Those all looked good so I repacked the bearings, lubed up the seals anyway, and reinstalled everything only to hear the squeak as soon as I backed out of the driveway on a test drive lol. It was the forward-most u joint on the driveshaft after all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts