Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just today my truck started squeaking at me again. It's a 96. It always comes from the front passenger side. It also seems like the noise may be affected by the weather. In the colder months, I don't remember hearing it squeak. It seems like driving around in warmer weather makes it more likely to squeak. I am planning on jacking the front end up as soon as it's feasible, but I'd like to know what you guys think. I've heard squeaky u-joints on Jeeps before, and mine doesn't sound like this. It starts at around 5-10MPH, and a solid metal squeak/whine is clearly audible with the window down coming from the front passenger side. You can hear it up through 35-40 MPH, and the squeak does change in tempo with the speed of the vehicle.

From my experience, this has almost always been u-joints, but I've never heard what a bad u-joint on one of these trucks sounds like. It just doesn't sound as high-pitched and hollow as the squeaks I've heard from other, smaller trucks. My squeak is more like a high pitched whine. It's got 130,000 miles on it, and other than Mile Marker manuals and new wheel bearings, the entire front end is still factory. I guess it's about time this stuff started happening. I'll report back when I get the truck jacked up this weekend.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
The 96's have a dust seal that rides on the back of the wheel bearing seal. They dry out and sound like metal on metal. That is my first guess. U joint won't make noise unless in 4WD. If you just replaced them, grease them good.
Number 6 in the diagram

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks. That sounds like it may be the culprit. The sound just came back this afternoon after no sounds all winter. This has also been the longest dry spell since last August. It hasn't rained in almost a week, so things are relatively dry. Pollen and dust is in the air, too, so I can definitely see things getting dried out. Thanks for that, I'll check the dust seals. So if it is indeed the dust seals, greasing them may fix the problem?

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
It did on mine. You can kind of get to them by removing the brake caliper. If not the hub has to come off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts