Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did search, Just want to hear opinions before I go buy a new brake booster and M/C.

Before I did my lift, Brake pedal was always really squishy, I had it insured for 3 months and near the end of the 3 months I was able to pump the brakes 3 times quickly, Then hit the pedal hard and it would lock up all 4 32's. I did the 6" lift now, Had to extend brake lines, So means time to bleed brakes, Well putting the extended lines on, Because the lines were so old it just cracked at the wheel cylinder as soon as I moved the line. First thought it was the wheel cylinder, Finally smashed the drums off. Everything was in really rough shape, The adjusters on the bottom moved freely because the brake adjuster cable was broken, So I put in both rear wheel cylinders and new pads and whatever else needed to be new. Get a buddy to help me bleed them. Push the pedal, open valve, Close when he gets near bottom. Repeat a few times move on to next furthest tire from M/C. Did it with both truck running and truck off. Still have squishy pedal. It has a newer M/C me and my dad put on, But he did most of it, I was younger, So I got no idea if he bench bled it. I also did adjust the rod that goes through the booster into the M/C, I didnt notice a difference, I will be running 38's and this thing is not hitting the road till I have a firm pedal and can nearly lock up that big of tire. Oh and I have not yet adjusted the rear brakes till I notice the pads just barely touching surface with the drum, Not sure if that could cause the problem.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
sounds like you still have air in the system.

if the master was never bench bleed it will never get the air out from normal bleeding.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
you can remove the top of the master cylinder and have someone push the pedal down and release it. if it shoots up like a volcano you have air in the lines.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got air in the lines :toothless

And ill take the M/C off and bench bleed it, Im getting tired of it though. Ill try and bleed it a few more times and bench bleed it and if that does the trick then cool. If not im taking it to a brake shop

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you think brakes are a pain now wait till you put on those 38's...
What do you mean by that? Brakes will be worse, Or other broken parts?

I was never worried about my brakes when I had the 32's I could always stop it pretty darn fast with having a standard and just putting the pedal to the floor(which it almost hit the floor...) I just need this thing as safe as it can be.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh ok, Will see. If there rough ill be doing the f 350 M/c, Booster, wheel cylinders, Then calipers.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just do hydroboost & forget about it.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
Just do hydroboost & forget about it.
I loved the manual brakes I put in the bronco when I had it. it was many times better than the factory bronco stuff, it stopped plenty well for me.

·
Premium Member
23,563 Posts
actually 1 ton dual piston calipers up front and GM 3/4 ton calipers on the 14 bolt. ;)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Don't forget to make sure that the rear brakes are adjusted correctly,
that really does make a difference with stopping properally.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll second that.

Don't forget to make sure that the rear brakes are adjusted correctly,
that really does make a difference with stopping properally.
Most folks forget or neglect that part of the brake rebuild or repair.

It's kinda like the guys that will change 2 or three batteries and starters when they have starting problems, before they get around to the worn out battery cables:goodfinge

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:toothless

Yes ill adjust the rears, I read something like you gotta adjust them tighter till you just feel like slightest resistance. So the wheel cylinder does not have to push them out so far = firmer pedal. BUT, I do defentely still have air in the system because I got a valcano coming out of the M/C when the brakes are pressed and released.

Ned- Isin't it weird how we will replace batteries and starters and want to take it to a shop before we adjust the rear brakes. Yet the cheaper (Or FREE!) things usually do the trick

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was at the auto part store, Guy said that something about bypassing vacuum or air or something because the M/C on my truck is a reman. I think I am going to buy a new one(not rebuilt) bench bleed it and try again. There only 40 bucks new now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I did my brakes the insruction with the new power booster said you want to see fluid volcano in the M.S. thats how you adjust the pushrod. How are the front brakeks lines?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts