Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
84 bronco v8 4brl. starts and runs good on short trips. the longer i drive it seems to sputter and stalls out then wont start for a while. replaced the plugs,wires,cap,rotor,coil,fuel filter,battery,starter,solenoid and more. need some suggestions, would like to drive it more but i cant trust it. i hope i'm in the right forum this time?

·
Premium Member
9,994 Posts
Sounds like it could be starving for fuel at some point, Carb, mechancial fuel pump up front or sending unit in the gas tank. Same with elec. FP

Could also be the coil or external voltage regulator, side mounted some where on L/R fender under the hood, or my 86 alternator has an internal voltage regulator............?

Try "searching" a bit more first and see if there are any other threads similar.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
vapor lock

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,013 Posts
during long trips... my fuel pump would crap out on me after a couple of hours of driving... let it cool off and it'd work again... i fixed it during a road trip because it was wasting a lot of time... but mine is a 93 and has a dif fuel pump than yours

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
fuel injection.
King of the short responses lately, aren't we? :toothless j/k

Vapor lock can be caused by a bad fuel tank cap not allowing air to enter as the fuel is consumed.

redwagon: ICM == ignition control module. Unless you have a VERY early Bronco, we ALL have ignition control modules. The OP's system could be either Duraspark OR TFI-IV.

matrix: is there a light gray rectangular box bolted to the side of the distributor? If so, you have what's referred to as TFI, or Thick-Film Ignition. These modules are infamous for failing as you've described. I would say replace it if it's the original, but at least test it at a parts store and do some testing on the ignition coil.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
nice, a bit out of my budget though
I'd bet you could find some sucker on here wanting to get rid of his fuel injection for a carb set up pretty easily. :thumbup

A phenolic spacer between the carb and upper intake can help lower temperatures in the carb, thus helping/eliminating vapor lock.

King of the short responses lately, aren't we? :toothless j/k

Vapor lock can be caused by a bad fuel tank cap not allowing air to enter as the fuel is consumed.
I try :toothless

Wait, I thought vapor lock was where the fuel in the carb gets too hot, and some carb-shenanigans occur, and it can't deliver fuel anymore until it cools down?

I dunno this carb stuff. When my shit breaks, I pull out the paperclip and it tells me what's wrong. F diagnosis, I want my issues spoon fed to me via check engine light. :thumbup

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
I dunno this carb stuff. When my shit breaks, I pull out the paperclip and it tells me what's wrong. F diagnosis, I want my issues spoon fed to me via check engine light. :thumbup
We need like a "Golden Paperclip Award" for the Outstanding Diagnostic FSB Member of the Year. :rofl:

·
Registered
447 Posts
I would insulate the fuel lines in the engine bay. If it is a vapor lock issue that might be a quick and cheap fix.

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
:stupid

IIRC, phenolic carb spacers are pretty cheap too. Won't hurt anything, that's for sure.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts