Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they make a zf6 tranny for a 460, or just the deisel's?

Because I know that they make a zf5 trnny for the 460, and i'd like to get a 6 speed so i might actually be able to have my truck as a daily driver

·
Registered
106 Posts
no the 6 speed is only for the mod motor or powerstroke. the only difference is the low gear the 6 speed has . they both have the same overdrive ratio

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
by mod do you mean 351 M or another motor?

·
Registered
533 Posts
i do believe he ment a 351M. dumb question 1979 Bronco, 400 M, Ranger, 5" lift, 36" Super Swamper TSL/SX-Blown Motor?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
had to ask, i've heard of the 351 m being called many different things for the M

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm fairly new to the board, so I hope that statement was meant as a joke. "Mod" engine is reference to the Ford modular engines, the OHC 8 and V-10 engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Modular_engine

The ZF6 wasn't introduced until long after the "M" blocks were phased out.
i like how you quoted me,

i said.i do believe he ment a 351M. dumb question 1979 Bronco, 400 M, Ranger, 5" lift, 36" Super Swamper TSL/SX-Blown Motor.

a mod motor in 78-79 is a modified. not your modular motor. you want to quote me? please quote me, and not parts. heres a pic of my 351M. MODIFIED:goodfinge

that zf6 trans sucks. it bolted to my 351`m. it never with stood my 351m. good luck.

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Thats not a picture of a 351M. Also, "i do believe he ment a 351M. dumb question 1979 Bronco, 400 M, Ranger, 5" lift, 36" Super Swamper TSL/SX-Blown Motor?" doesnt make a bit of sense. AND, there is no "400 M." AND, he did mean modular. Basically, a dumbass cant be a very effective asshole, so stop trying.

·
Premium Member
4,161 Posts
We've been building 351m/400 engines for almost 30 years..and I knew that 'mod' or 'mod motor' is the common short/slang term for the OHC series of Ford modular engines..:popc1:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
gulfcrestinc should be the only one to respond to what he meant because obviously no one has any real clue on what he meant

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Considering that the ZF 6 was only offered for the modular motors and Powerstrokes, he obviously meant modular. This isnt that hard, people.

·
Registered
52 Posts
that zf6 trans sucks. it bolted to my 351`m. it never with stood my 351m. good luck.
I'm confident that beast of a 351M you built completely destroyed a transmission with a 600lb/ft torque rating.

Maybe it committed suicide when it realized its owner had no idea what he was doing.

Oh, and to finally answer the question, NO - a ZF6 won't bolt up to a 460. ZF6 has an integral bellhousing, with the modular bolt pattern. Unless, of course, we're talking about the rare prototype one-off ZF6 with the 351M/400/460 bolt pattern (you know, the one that 1978custom sourced from alien invaders for his bitchin' 351M build).

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I thought that there was a ZF6 put behind the diesels. If there is it would bolt to a 460.
yup, I got one in my 2001 f250.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
no the 6 speed is only for the mod motor or powerstroke. the only difference is the low gear the 6 speed has . they both have the same overdrive ratio
the 5 speed zf has a low 1st gear as well.

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
There's a lot of conflicting info in this thread. Can we clear up a few things here???

yeah i meant modular motor 4.2 4.7 5.4 6.8 all the same bellhousing pattern
I thought that there was a ZF6 put behind the diesels. If there is it would bolt to a 460.
i like how you quoted me,

i said.i do believe he ment a 351M. dumb question 1979 Bronco, 400 M, Ranger, 5" lift, 36" Super Swamper TSL/SX-Blown Motor.

a mod motor in 78-79 is a modified. not your modular motor. you want to quote me? please quote me, and not parts. heres a pic of my 351M. MODIFIED:goodfinge

You bolted a ZF6 to a 351M? Then that transmission would bolt up to a 460 as they have the same bellhousing pattern.

yeah i meant modular motor 4.2 4.7 5.4 6.8 all the same bellhousing pattern
4.2 is a v6 is not a modular motor. It has the smallblock bellhousing bolt pattern same as a 5.0, 5.8. You must mean the 4.6 v8?

460 and diesels have different bellhousing patterns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have read that the ZF5 Diesel trannys can be modified slightly to work on a 460. I am not sure if it is true or what is involved but the same thing would go for the ZF6. I am hoping it is possible because I'd love to put a ZF6 behind my 460 (currently a ZF5).

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I have read that the ZF5 Diesel trannys can be modified slightly to work on a 460. I am not sure if it is true or what is involved but the same thing would go for the ZF6. I am hoping it is possible because I'd love to put a ZF6 behind my 460 (currently a ZF5).
diesel trans have different ratios compared to the gas versions.

·
Registered
423 Posts
1978custom just goes to threads and makes up retarded posts so he can upload pictures of his truck that no one cares about....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts