Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 882 Posts

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,357 Posts
Im aware of that company and they make really nice parts. There is also a web site for people who actually expedition around the world which is pretty cool (I'll have to find it later).

I didn't realize so many people were going to watch my build, now I'm all giddy and excited to get more work done. :toothless
Turtle Expedition?

http://www.turtleexpedition.com/

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's awesome Stan... Like others have said, it's my plan too, albeit a different route. I'm switching to SAS now, and doing the other auxiliary (OBA, lighting, winches) stuff afterwards. My opinion is probably worth about what your paying for it, (I'm the fact that I'm switching now probably has something to do with it), but I was never able to keep my old TTB in alignment with my old bronco when off-roading, and I just like the simplicity of the solid axle for trail repairs and maintenance. Different subject entirely though. Other than that, you and I will be on very similar paths.

Have you ever thought of a trailer to help with those expeditions? When I was really into it the whole AEV thing, I decided I wanted a trailer to tow behind me for more storage and camping room. I'll have to show you what I've built so far, and what my plans are for it if your interested... Here it is behind my old truck, and it's basically how it sits for now too (this was at a football game last year, but picture a camper top on the top of it and painted to match the truck):

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's awesome Stan... Like others have said, it's my plan too, albeit a different route. I'm switching to SAS now, and doing the other auxiliary (OBA, lighting, winches) stuff afterwards. My opinion is probably worth about what your paying for it, (I'm the fact that I'm switching now probably has something to do with it), but I was never able to keep my old TTB in alignment with my old bronco when off-roading, and I just like the simplicity of the solid axle for trail repairs and maintenance. Different subject entirely though. Other than that, you and I will be on very similar paths.

Have you ever thought of a trailer to help with those expeditions? When I was really into it the whole AEV thing, I decided I wanted a trailer to tow behind me for more storage and camping room. I'll have to show you what I've built so far, and what my plans are for it if your interested... Here it is behind my old truck, and it's basically how it sits for now too (this was at a football game last year, but picture a camper top on the top of it and painted to match the truck):

hey a goped! are you still into them things? i had one a couple years back. theres a website called gopednation.com to go to if your still into them and wanting to know more.

damn stan my bronco wants to be like yours one day...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
My truck needs some maintenance attention asap. I have a leaky master cylinder, worn out brake pads, and scored rotors... plus I need extended brake lines.

Heres my thinking:
F350 Brake booster
F350 Master cylinder with a new "switch"
New brake pads
and possibly turn the rotors?

What is a good set of pads to get (seeing as how Napa Auto has like 5 choices) and how much will having a shop re-surface run me? The rotors aren't in too bad of shape, but they are scored and NOT smooth. If I drag my finger nail across them, I can feel the roughness pretty good.

Ideas?
Dont know about the F350 swap in a 96. however, get new rotors dont even think about turning them anymore. I just did rotors and pads on my 04 F150 from NAPA. i usually use the middle of the price range pads, which were $50. they went from 20 to 100. the top end are ceramic which i tried but didnt notice a diff, except they liked to eat rotors.
the mid grade ones are close to OEM metallic

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Oh darn you for giving me ideas :scratchhe :doh0715:

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
i love Stan's Bronco, if i was going to have just one truck it would be simular to this
Dont know about the F350 swap in a 96. however, get new rotors dont even think about turning them anymore. I just did rotors and pads on my 04 F150 from NAPA. i usually use the middle of the price range pads, which were $50. they went from 20 to 100. the top end are ceramic which i tried but didnt notice a diff, except they liked to eat rotors.
the mid grade ones are close to OEM metallic
Thanks for both inputs :thumbup I want stronger braking power so Im going to give the F350 booster and MC a shot (plus I need to bleed my brake lines anyways). I think Im going to stop by Ford this week and get some prices on Motorcraft rotors and pads. The only thing is that I will have to find someone who can press the hub and studs out of the old and into the new rotor.

What would happen if I left the stock rotor?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for both inputs :thumbup I want stronger braking power so Im going to give the F350 booster and MC a shot (plus I need to bleed my brake lines anyways). I think Im going to stop by Ford this week and get some prices on Motorcraft rotors and pads. The only thing is that I will have to find someone who can press the hub and studs out of the old and into the new rotor.

The thing is you are running a tire that is much larger than OE. You need to upgrade to larger brakes. But if not, then at least stay away from the Motorcraft Brake pads. They don't stop as well as OE pads.

BRR-56 Front Rotor $85.85 MSRP
BR-46 Front Pads $55.73 MSRP
F5TZ-2001-BC Ford Pads $89.88 (replaced by MC with in 3 monthes, but dealers should still have a couple sets left, I know we have a set)

Good luck :D

·
Registered
959 Posts

I was able to pound out the studs and then reapply the hub to the new rotor without any problem. My buddy and I did it and the only problem was getting to all the studs to seat correctly (as far as depth) into the holes for the studs. PM me with ?'s. I also went with brembo brake rotors and I got them for 50 buck shipped to my door.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Pound the studs out with a hammer.

To reinstall, lightly tap the studs just so they stay in place, and when you put your wheel back on, torque the bolts to the right torque. Two trips around the block, and re torque.

Check them every now and again for a week or so. By doing this instead of pressing them in, you're essentially using the wheel to pull them through.

Worked for me anyways.

-Alex

·
Registered
274 Posts

I just got the crossed drilled and slotted ones from bronco graveyard. but you can pound the studs out with a hammer. Then to get them back in stick them in the frezer for 2 hours or so and then stick in the holes and hit with brass punch.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yeah you should be able to switch out the wheel studs no problem. I have always used my BFH and it works great.

The f350 brake upgrade is also a worth while upgrade. I also have a 96 and it was as simple as buying parts for a 96 f350. There will be a couple different bore sizes for the MC, I just chose the biggest one.

Are you planning on doing the wheel cylinders also? if so get the ones for DRW. I found that the SRW ones have a different size brake line fitting than our stock stuff ( I chose the largest bore size in those also).

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The thing is you are running a tire that is much larger than OE. You need to upgrade to larger brakes. But if not, then at least stay away from the Motorcraft Brake pads. They don't stop as well as OE pads.

BRR-56 Front Rotor $85.85 MSRP
BR-46 Front Pads $55.73 MSRP
F5TZ-2001-BC Ford Pads $89.88 (replaced by MC with in 3 monthes, but dealers should still have a couple sets left, I know we have a set)

Good luck :D
Whats the difference between Motorcraft and OE? Aren't they both made by Ford? The part numbers you listed are for OE? Whats the difference between the two pads you listed?

I was able to pound out the studs and then reapply the hub to the new rotor without any problem. My buddy and I did it and the only problem was getting to all the studs to seat correctly (as far as depth) into the holes for the studs. PM me with ?'s. I also went with brembo brake rotors and I got them for 50 buck shipped to my door.
Whered you get those Brembo's at? Id like to see a link...

Yeah you should be able to switch out the wheel studs no problem. I have always used my BFH and it works great.

The f350 brake upgrade is also a worth while upgrade. I also have a 96 and it was as simple as buying parts for a 96 f350. There will be a couple different bore sizes for the MC, I just chose the biggest one.

Are you planning on doing the wheel cylinders also? if so get the ones for DRW. I found that the SRW ones have a different size brake line fitting than our stock stuff ( I chose the largest bore size in those also).

Thanks for the input!

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,532 Posts
motorcraft has a "value" line of pads vs the OE pads. alot cheaper but still not as good as quality as the OE ones. I would run motorcraft before anything autozone tho. had these on the F150 and they did good but lots of brake dust.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,751 Posts
Stan, I very much like your truck! You should get "AEV" wheels. They make them in 5x5.5 lug patterns (I think?)

Please note: mad Buffalo center cap.
DAMN! I didnt think of that when I was buying wheels. But Jeeps bolt patterns are 5x4.5, unless AEV makes stuff for CJ's

21 - 40 of 882 Posts