Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

841 - 860 of 885 Posts

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #842
First images with the coilovers and Deavers. Ride is PLUSH! I only got to hit the sand for about 5 minutes before my squealing driveshaft double cardan centering ball called it quits.

The truck is sitting at about 5" of lift right now but it should settle down an inch or so. I think I'll be hitting the dunes next week to give it a good shakedown.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #845
Bumper looks great as does everything else, but where's the pics of the beams!?!?
Thanks! I didn't realize those were necessary. They just look like normal beams with the lower ears cut, adjusted, and rewelded. I can snag some this weekend. I want to go through the front end and install new Spicer 760 joints – my u-joints are 22 years old :whiteflag

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #850
Unfortunately my trip to the dunes this weekend is cancelled. Soon enough I'll get out there though.

In the meantime, here's a forklift flex test with the coilovers. Front tire was at 36" off the ground (measured at the middle of the tread) and the rear tire was measuring 34" off the ground. The front was fully bumped and strapped but the rear still had some up/down travel to go.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,718 Posts
Yeah I am more or less putting the same parts together for my 92. That was one of the things I cannot decide on and I also agree its expensive. I feel like the stock stuff will be fine for the speeds at which I will be going, likely very similar to what you will do with yours. I'll wait patiently for your post sand dunes thoughts and pics and such...
Looks great, I really like how those methods tuck up into the fenders at/near full stuff, makes me think the offset is actually where it should be on a stock fender opening truck.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
Yeah I am more or less putting the same parts together for my 92. That was one of the things I cannot decide on and I also agree its expensive. I feel like the stock stuff will be fine for the speeds at which I will be going, likely very similar to what you will do with yours. I'll wait patiently for your post sand dunes thoughts and pics and such...
Looks great, I really like how those methods tuck up into the fenders at/near full stuff, makes me think the offset is actually where it should be on a stock fender opening truck.
I really had no intention of moving to a swing steering setup but Bobby at Solo (co-owner) started talking to me about pros and cons anyway. He told me they see the stock steering links flex when guys hit the whoops hard with 37s. You also get more bump steer through the travel cycle.

So theoretically if you're racing you'd want a swing setup. That'll set you back $7k though.

I'm not building a racer, more of a dual-sport as the cool kids are calling it now. Rocky trails, desert runs, and highway roads. I like that I can get a full steering setup for $300 and easily carry a spare set or pick a link up at a local auto store on the route home from a trail if I need to.

I agree, the Methods tuck nicely. It helps that we pushed the TTB forward about an inch to clear the rear of the front fender. They do rub a lot on the radius arms at full lock but that's because I don't have any steering stops.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #853

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
This is going to be a brand new truck before I know it! I guess 8 years of wheeling, 3 years of sitting, and very little maintenance will do this to the parts.

T-case squeal issues – https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/494050-bw1356-transfer-case-squeal.html#post7075426

Share some thoughts here or in that thread if you have ideas.
It's been a while since I updated. I drained and filled the t-case with new fluid and did a bit more research. Turns out the pump does not run if the truck is the engine is not running (obviously) and that can cause a squealing noise.

So where was my squealing coming from? Not entirely sure, but I dug into my passenger front shafts to change out my 22 year old u-joints for some new Spicer 5-760's, installed new wheel seals, and hit the two piece seal with some grease. No more noise.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #855
Another update!

I've been out wheeling and wrenching a lot the last couple of months. Managed to lay the truck on its side (not completely) in a nice little rock wall. Battle scars look sexy.

Also installed or updated the following items:
1. Re-did the wiring on my front and rear lockers. 2008 Stan wasn't great (or even good) at wiring. No wonder my front locker wasn't working.

2. I found 2 Baja Designs S2 Sports for sale locally. I've wanted to grab a set of these but never wanted to spend on the money, but these were had at a really good deal.

3. I installed one as a reverse & camp set up light on the passenger side of the rear bumper. Works great.

4. I installed the other as a dust light (safety light) on the drivers side of the rear bumper. It has a red lens right now but it kills a lot of output. Will be going to a standard amber lens instead.

5. My stock air box was all hacked up and leaving a lot to be desired after the coil over hoop mount install. I've seen a couple other Go-Fast Broncos with the K&N FIPK intake system, so I went ahead and ordered one of those while on rebate. Fit is really nice, filter has a lot more surface area (about 50 square inches), and I have the hydrophobic pre-filter which should help with water crossings. 90 minutes later my seat dyno is happy. Brain dyno doesn't think much has changed.

6. Desolate Motorsports sent me one of their beefy 3/16" aluminum gas tank skids. Looks sharp, protects the sides of the gas tank, and is much thicker than my dented factory skid.

7. My stock motor mounts are falling apart, so I placed an order with Solo Motorsports for their beefy motor mount upgrade. Stock fitment and rebuildable. I should have these next week.

8. Chris at Bronco Air made me a set of front bumper reinforcement brackets, which tie in the bumper ears into the sway bar mounts. Those ears alone are fairly flimsy and like to move when you give a good tug (or winch). Chris says these brackets will solve this problem.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,718 Posts
The solo engine mounts are nice, I really like mine. As also is the desolate gas tank skid.
I also run the fipk with the pre-filter. Zero issues with this setup. Obviously its a little susceptible to water/mud but I have not had issue either way.

Cool updates and pictures. I need to get out that way for a desert run some day

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #858
The solo engine mounts are nice, I really like mine. As also is the desolate gas tank skid.
I also run the fipk with the pre-filter. Zero issues with this setup. Obviously its a little susceptible to water/mud but I have not had issue either way.

Cool updates and pictures. I need to get out that way for a desert run some day
It can’t be any worse than the cut up stock box that was in there.

·
--------------
4,357 Posts
Yes Sir, You will Like those Semi Solid Motor Mounts.
(Solid w/ No Vibration)

I would recommend giving some extra help to the "Frame Nuts" so your Engine doesn't "Twist in the Cradle"
Like so,

look close @ Plenum by the VMV.
(I loosened, reset Eng, Got New Nuts, doubled the washers and Locktited w/ extra ft. lbs of torque)
No Problems since.

BTW,
Nice Looking Setup, can't wait to see it in Moab. :thumbup

Later,
Dragon

841 - 860 of 885 Posts