Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

861 - 880 of 885 Posts

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,805 Posts
i also like that rear tank skid, will have to check that out.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Are most of those photos taken in the off road park in Hollister? Years ago I had thought about taking my '83 there but the guy I talked to asked what I was going to bring and when I told him it was a FSB, he chuckled and said "good luck".

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #865
Are most of those photos taken in the off road park in Hollister? Years ago I had thought about taking my '83 there but the guy I talked to asked what I was going to bring and when I told him it was a FSB, he chuckled and said "good luck".
Yeah, the recent stuff is in Hollister SVRA. I'm sure the older stuff is too since it's the closest to my home.

There's lots of assorted trails there. Tons of fire road type stuff, and also some good technical trails. There's only a few trails or sections in the manmade "Obstacle Course" that are buggy-type only.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
The truck hasn't moved much in recent months – lot's of minor maintenance that has shown it's signs from taking it wheeling:

Rebuilt the front axles with new Spicer 760x u-joints,
Rebuilt the front driveshaft (22 year old u-joints were dust),
Replaced the temp gauge sending unit,
Replaced the mechanical fan clutch,
Rebuilt the rear drums,
Tracked down a leaking radiator and purchased a new all aluminum 4-row drop-in unit,
Tracked down some steering issues (Red Head box on it's way) and a faulty Saginaw pump,
Replaced the motor mounts with Solo's fabricated mounts,
Replaced the trans mount,
Some other odd & ends.

Went to the dunes and found more small things to repair:
Body mounts have worked their way loose. Probably need to replace but torquing down will suffice for now.
Radius Arm heim jam nuts keep working their way loose. Gonna need some loctite on that.
Radius Arm to TTB bolts worked their way loose. What's the best way to torque these to the specified 350 ft/lbs?

Not to leave y'all stranded without photos:

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
Fixed that issue with some spare body mount hardware courtesy of @Tchajagos and Prothane poly mounts. More details here – https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/7-1980-96-bronco-tech/499802-body-mount-replacement-new-hardware.html

Parts include:
Prothane 6-107-BL - https://amzn.to/2RE5FPg
Energy Suspension dhw011 (back in stock) - https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/dhw011

Also went ahead and fixed my overhead console. The temperature display would go out intermittently until it quick working altogether. Turns out it just needed a new capacitor. This thread outlines that really well - https://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/23-technical-write-ups/340713-overhead-console-display-fix.html

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #870
You look almost like it's gliding across the bumps. How do they feel? Does the Bronco just absorb most of it? Or does the whole thing shake?
I have 18" of travel and properly valved 2.5" shocks and hydraulic bumps, so it's smooth as butter. Probably could have hit it 15 MPH faster if I could have gotten around the bend a little hotter.

I'll have to hit some whoops again with a dash camera.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have 18" of travel and properly valved 2.5" shocks and hydraulic bumps, so it's smooth as butter. Probably could have hit it 15 MPH faster if I could have gotten around the bend a little hotter.

I'll have to hit some whoops again with a dash camera.

That would be a badass video.

3. I installed one as a reverse & camp set up light on the passenger side of the rear bumper. Works great.

4. I installed the other as a dust light (safety light) on the drivers side of the rear bumper. It has a red lens right now but it kills a lot of output. Will be going to a standard amber lens instead.

Do you have any pictures of this setup?

·
Registered
91 Posts
So Stan... My end goal is basically your set up. I love it. I looked up a full desolate suspension and it seems about $11k all done. Is that basically what you have at this point suspension wise?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #874
So Stan... My end goal is basically your set up. I love it. I looked up a full desolate suspension and it seems about $11k all done. Is that basically what you have at this point suspension wise?
Seth, I priced my kit out on Solo Motorsports and it came out to about $9,500 for everything. I'm sure Desolate is similar in pricing. I bought my set up used (test fitted but not used) for much much cheaper. I'd suggest heading to GoFastBroncos or Race Dezert and keeping your eyes peeled for the main components as they are all rebuildable for very little money (shocks, Deaver packs, C&T beams, etc.).

Here's the specifics on what I'm running:
Solo stock width cut & turned beams with skid
Solo engine cross member
King 12x2.5 coilovers
Solo radius arms with heims
Deaver Q80 leaf pack
Solo extended shackles and fabricated hangers
Solo under bed rear shock mount
King 12x2.5 remote reservoir smoothies
Solo front and rear bump mounts
King 2x2 shorty bumps on all corners
Kartek limit straps

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #876
Man that is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. I now have a shopping list.
Glad I could help. Not sure of your budget, but you could definitely save a few bucks by doing the following:
1. Skip the Q80's if you don't need the softer ride and most amount of travel. Not only are the J40s cheaper, they are bolt in and don't require an extended shackle or the dropped/fabricated hangers. You can save probably $800-1,000 here.
2. Find the shocks used on GFB or Race Dezert. You can send them in for a rebuild and proper valving for not much money. They'll be good as new and you can probably save $200-300 per shock over the cost of new.
3. If you won't be running hard and fast, you can skip the hydraulic bumps and go with a foam/rubber bump or save a few bucks and do Locked Off Road bumps. You'd save roughly $1,000 - 1,600 here.

That's roughly $3,800 in savings right off the bat.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yea I'm not in an area where you go fast off road. I basically want a lot of travel and a smooth ride on road. I've got 10 years to do this before my son can drive so it's gonna take some time.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #878
Yea I'm not in an area where you go fast off road. I basically want a lot of travel and a smooth ride on road. I've got 10 years to do this before my son can drive so it's gonna take some time.

:thumbup Honestly I'd just start with some C&T beams, heimed radius arms, and then keep a good coil/quad shock up front. You won't have as much travel, but ride quality will be good and you won't run into all the small detail quirks and bigger bucks of going long travel. As time goes on, you'll be able to easily transition to coilovers and have a nice price-stepping structure.

Pair the above with the Deaver J40's and you'll have a very capable, comfortable, and affordable (relatively) mid-travel setup. I think the Desolate mid-travel (stage 2) kit pulls 11"of travel, which is the same as modern day Toyota long travel set up for about $7k less.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had to Google all that lol. So what's the purpose of the cut and turned ttb? I have a rough country lift right now and it beats you to death so shocks and coils are first on the list.

861 - 880 of 885 Posts