Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

881 - 885 of 885 Posts

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #881
I recently had some coolant leaks coming out of the neck of my stock radiator and weeping out of a one-year-old high flow water pump. I ended up swapping them both out for an all aluminum radiator from Summit Racing (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-384033) and a Motorcraft water pump.

That took care of all of the coolant leaks but now I've developed or unmasked an oil leak on the front end (my rear main has always dribbled). This thing is killing me.

I'm going to bet its the front main seal (crankshaft seal) that I installed when I resealed the timing chain cover last year. I just hope I don't have to drain the cooling system and pull the timing chain cover again.

I'm going to clean everything up this week and see if I can isolate the leak. Maybe hit it with some dye. Worse case for diagnosis I can pull the balancer off and check the seal out closely. From there I'll have 3 options:

1. Swap out the front main seal with the cover in place.
2. Pull the cover and redo everything.
3. Lift the engine and reseal the pan, while tackling both the front and rear main seals.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #883
Wow, over a year since my last update!

Truck is running mostly awesome. With all of this Coronavirus California home-isolation time, I'm digging deep into some more time consuming projects. One of them being the 12 year old ABS light on the dash. Here's what I've discovered:

I've had a mostly constant ABS light on my dash since 2008. Ocassionally when I start the truck the light is off, but upon pressing the brake pedal, the pedal falls, the ABS light turns on, and then all acts like normal. The pedal falling issue is rare and has only happened a couple of times per year. Otherwise, the light stays on constantly.

I pulled codes today via jumping the red ABS Test plug. Here's what I got:

Code 17: Reference Voltage/Intermittent Valve Fault
Code 31: Left Front Brake Anti-Lock Sensor Diagnosis (Static)
Code 32: Right Front Brake Anti-Lock Sensor Diagnosis
Code 33: Rear Axle Speed Sensor Diagnosis
Code 35, 41, 75: Left Front Brake Anti-Lock Sensor Diagnosis (Dynamic)
Code 42: Right Front Brake Anti-Lock Sensor Diagnosis (Dynamic
Code 65: Acceleration Sensor

Using Diesel Dave's shop manual (http://www.diesel-dave.com/vehic/manual/stj/leftside=stjsi10l.htm&rightside=stjsi10r.htm), pretty much every component of the 4wABS system has a fault. This makes me think that the 4wABS Module is actually defective.

Any feedback on this? Sources for a new module? Maybe something I'm missing in sorting this out?

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
I recently had some coolant leaks coming out of the neck of my stock radiator and weeping out of a one-year-old high flow water pump. I ended up swapping them both out for an all aluminum radiator from Summit Racing (Summit Racing® Performance Fit Aluminum Radiators SUM-384033) and a Motorcraft water pump.

That took care of all of the coolant leaks but now I've developed or unmasked an oil leak on the front end (my rear main has always dribbled). This thing is killing me.

I'm going to bet its the front main seal (crankshaft seal) that I installed when I resealed the timing chain cover last year. I just hope I don't have to drain the cooling system and pull the timing chain cover again.

I'm going to clean everything up this week and see if I can isolate the leak. Maybe hit it with some dye. Worse case for diagnosis I can pull the balancer off and check the seal out closely. From there I'll have 3 options:

1. Swap out the front main seal with the cover in place.
2. Pull the cover and redo everything.
3. Lift the engine and reseal the pan, while tackling both the front and rear main seals.
Turned out the oil leak was front main seal. I suppose I didn't put any RTV on it the first time I installed. Luckily it was an easy repair: remove the serpentine belt, pull off the harmonic balancer, pull out the old seal, clean up, insert new seal with RTV, reinstall everything.

I'm really loving the electric fan. It makes engine work a lot quicker!

awesome build!
Thanks so much!

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
After 12 years, the ABS works. Took a couple of hours and $30 at Pick n Pull.

Went to the local junkyard today since they got two Explorers in last week. One was a 1993 and the other was a 1994. I pulled both ABS Control Modules but the 1993 module had a different part number (same design though). I purchased the 1994 module (comes with a 30 day return policy) for $28.

After installing the Explorer module, the ABS light went away for a few minutes, then popped back up on my test drive. I pulled codes and here's where I'm at now:

Code 17: Reference Voltage/Intermittent Valve Fault
Code 65: Acceleration Sensor

That's 9 error codes down to 2. I'm making progress!

View attachment 157819

View attachment 157820

View attachment 157821

1993 Explorer ABS Module on top, 1994 Explorer ABS Module on bottom.
View attachment 157822

1994 Explorer ABS Module on Top, 1996 Bronco ABS Module on Bottom.
View attachment 157823
Dug a little more into it and found out that my Acceleration Sensor (F37A-2C341-AD, 10.0541-9002.1) was zip-tied to the brake line (horizontally rotated). I must have done this during the coilover hoop install.

If the Acceleration Sensor is mounted flat horizontally, the internal ball mechanism does not function properly. So I flipped it in the correct orientation and softmounted it with zip ties.

Took a test drive and no ABS light. Slam on the brakes at 45 MPH: slight tire lockup, a little wiggle from the front, and it all works! Time will tell if this stays functioning.
View attachment 157817

View attachment 157818

881 - 885 of 885 Posts