Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

101 - 120 of 882 Posts

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I cant decide where and how I want to angle the outside of my bumper up. Any one have any input with pictures? I like the way Steve did his with two cuts, but then I like blushrk's too. Keep in mind, my bumper is 2" wide, so its about half that of Bossinds.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Blushrk's bumper is 3x6 3/16 wall. Why only 2" for yours? You might run out of room for the hinge going that narrow.
it was free :thumbup I wanted something thicker but its hard to beat free if you know what I mean. Im thinking of doing something like this to offset the slim bumper.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,356 Posts
Being as the pics of my first choice are unavailable, I will say go with Steve's.

·
Registered
537 Posts
My old bumper was 3" wideand the tire carrier part is 2" wide., and I like the way the 2 cuts look...
For the bigger cut, I didn't taper it very much, but and then I just cut a 45* off the end to make the 2nd one.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,750 Posts
So far I have the bumper cut down to 72" and Im trying to figure out the tire carrier/latch. The 2" is a little thin for my tastes, and its making the mounting point hard to design, but I'll figure it out sooner or later. Sliders are also in design, so I have my hands full. I need to RTV and some Locktite and re-seal my rear differential. Its been leaking for some time now because I was in a hurry when I put it on a couple of months back. I also need to wash and wax the beast before the weather gets too crappy. I gotta keep that paint looking good!

·
Registered
873 Posts
I need to RTV and some Locktite and re-seal my rear differential. Its been leaking for some time now because I was in a hurry when I put it on a couple of months back.
I put a LubeLocker in mine after everyone I work with recommended it. I have to admit, it simplifies things quite a bit. I can probably get you a little better price than their website if you want.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Here's a thought for round tube sliders (hear me out, it may sound ghetto): the Marlin Crawler/Trail Gear prefabbed round sliders for shortbed Toyotas fit Broncos very well. You'll need to fab new legs, which is simple. They are .120, which worried me to begin with, but I've personally found them to be retardedly strong. I've had some jaw-slamming, truck falling on them hits that hardly dented the tube. Cheap, pre-bent, pre-welded and they look right.

·
Erik
1,823 Posts
Here's a thought for round tube sliders (hear me out, it may sound ghetto): the Marlin Crawler/Trail Gear prefabbed round sliders for shortbed Toyotas fit Broncos very well. You'll need to fab new legs, which is simple. They are .120, which worried me to begin with, but I've personally found them to be retardedly strong. I've had some jaw-slamming, truck falling on them hits that hardly dented the tube. Cheap, pre-bent, pre-welded and they look right.
Any pics or links? :popc1:

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts

This has been discussed before though....while .120 is about what we've all been using, it will bend for sure with a good rock hit. I've seen a bend or two, and I know several folks will be posting up that the .120 will bend if it takes a good rock hit. I've slid mine numerous times and hit it a couple but nothing major, but that's different than really hitting it good on a rock edge.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I looked into that, but I opted against it. I want the thicker stuff to be on the safe side.

This has been discussed before though....while .120 is about what we've all been using, it will bend for sure with a good rock hit. I've seen a bend or two, and I know several folks will be posting up that the .120 will bend if it takes a good rock hit. I've slid mine numerous times and hit it a couple but nothing major, but that's different than really hitting it good on a rock edge.
Exactly! I've talked to a handful of people with experience in them and they ALL told me go with .188 wall. P86, Im not bashing you by saying your unexperienced, just A LOT of people told me go with the thicker stuff. :thumbup

·
Registered
339 Posts
I will agree to disagree with you all on this one, although tying the sliders into the body I'm sure has helped mine. Design is a factor as well, I'm sure, but I'm satisfied with how they've held up on stupid hard hits. I'll keep the debate out of your build thread, though.

101 - 120 of 882 Posts