Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well fellas, after looking around and finding a donor, started the swap this last week.

Donor is a 1996 Econoline, recipient is my 1983 Bronco. Got engine/tranny/transfer case out, and tranny is at the shop. Having the tranny freshened up to take the higher torque, and having a shift kit installed. Have a fuel pump on order and poking around for an A9P to run the thing (was mated to a E4OD, going up against a C6 now). Am waiting for the engine and harness to dig into the wiring nightmares - hoping they aren't too bad. Pick up the engine end of this week.

Will let y'all know how it progresses.

Update 23Dec2010 - pictures of the final product (will add in-process after the turn of the year)

Have yet to do some serious clean up and hook everything back up (cruise control), but I was running against the clock on the install. Weird van intake still very obvious - planning to swap that with a K&N FIPK or similar style that lets me get rid of the 180deg bend and hot radiator air intake.

Update 15Jan2011 - pictures of in process

Had to trim one corner of one of the engine mounts to get it to sit flush

Wiring harness before...what a mess. Took two days to go through the wiring harness and trim it down to just what I needed. Used the distribution block as it had the fuel pump and PCM relays and fuses, just cut and capped the wires I didn't need.

General overview image

Again

Had to clearance some sheet metal to get the header on the driver side to stop hitting the sheet metal.

Pic added 2/12/11

Used an inline fuel pump, and the fuel lines/fuel filter setup from the donor vehicle. Used the existing fuel line on my Bronco for the return line, and silver soldered the line into the fuel pickup plate in the fuel tank (dismounted it first - didn't feel like burning to death that day)

Got about 12mpg highway heavily loaded, running 70mph average on a long road trip. About 11 mpg heavily loaded, pulling a boat on the way back, and about 9.5mpg heavily loaded, pulling a boat, 10-15 mph headwind. Overall, satisfied so far. Will see what mpg I get running her around 60-65mph highway, as this is how she'll normally be run.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I'm with ya on the van stuff, but I got a pretty good deal on the whole package, so I just plan to suck it up and deal with any weirdness (but I am crossing my fingers that weirdness is minimal).

From what I am finding it is OBDII. I was looking at the A9L as a bypass of sorts, but depends a lot on what I end up seeing - jury is out on this one.

I'm new to the FI swap stuff, but plan to learn as I go. I have a little time to play to figure it out, we'll see how much grey hair I get out of this.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! I am looking forward to the better torque and reliability, be nice to know it will start and run.

Just got the tranny back, freshened it up and had a towing shift kit installed. Should be picking up the engine mid week, and starting the install this weekend (parts delivery pending).

Question of the hour is whether to go with the control system that is on it (OBDII but have to swap to a manual tranny brain box), or go with an older system (A9P? and associated wiring harness) and a simpler integration (plus the benefit of sequential injection if I have my facts straight). Any input on putting an OBDII system in front of a C6 tranny? I dont want a bunch of error codes or wierd running issues.

MS

·
I did all for the Nookie
7,270 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, after getting sick, having family in town and some complications with picking up the engine, got started.

There is some weird van stuff on it, but that will be mentioned as I get to it.

Replaced the engine mounts (first weird van stuff part). Used Anchor p/n 2564 mounts. Passenger side fit fine, driver side needed about 1/4" trimmed off the back side to sit right.

Replaced the oil pump and oil pan gasket (was leaking), and rear main seal (was leaking too).

Had a broken stud on the exhaust manifold (was going to remove for headers anyway), and in the process of removal, broke a second (on other head). One is sub-surface, the other had about 1/4" protruding. Welding a nut on the one sticking out failed, broke a Cobalt drill bit off in the other...damn.

Now I have to figure out if it is worth replacing the heads, or just having these bolts removed by a machine shop. Since the labor to remove everything is already done, half tempted to swap on either World or AFR heads, and an Edelbrock intake, but that's a pretty good shot to the wallet right now...

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
I am doing a similar swap myself. But staying with a 302. I had a SD 302 in my 89 and am converting up to a mass air OBDII and the E4OD from an AOD. I choose to swap in the entire dash from the 96 and not worry with swapping all the electronics between the dashed and blending the systems. Just make sure that you are careful with your EGR stuff. Its expensive to replace.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, long story short, swap is done. I will add to this thread and add pics as time allows. Got in a time crunch to finish, so didn't do any thread updating.

Replaced the heads with a set of World Windsor Srs. That required rocker replacement, so went with a set of 1.72 Scorpion full roller rockers and new Trick Flow pushrods to round out the setup. Taller rockers drove a new set of valve covers, and they had to be relieved for clearance. Had a friend weld the top of the van oil filler line to the new valve covers.

Left the stock intake manifold for now (I know, but couldn't hack the cost after everything else - maybe next summer).

Had the stock injectors cleaned and flowed, and they looked good, so I reinstalled them.

Installed an inline fuel pump, and had to run a return line into the tank. Drilled a hole in the fuel siphon tube/sending unit plate and silver soldered the return line in.

Had to do some clearancing on the driver's side sheet metal to clear the header discharge flange, but nothing major.

Had to replace the IAC, and all of the O2 sensors (IAC was bad, all O2 sensors were missing). Got the TFI module from a local salvage yard, along with the fuel lines to/from the engine.

Ran (reparied) the 2.5" single exhaust that was already on there - just had to tweak the Y-pipe for the wider engine. It has a 3" cat, so I can get bigger later without too much expense.

The wiring was a fair pain. I got the entire engine compartment harness with the engine - pretty much everything. I cleaned up and installed the existing power distribution box, as it already had the fuses and relays for the PCM and fuel pump. Cleaning up the harnesses yielded a major reduction in wires, and only a few "extras" that I think are the OBDII plug wires (TBD).

Major weird van stuff were the oil filler tube (about 3' long), the oil dipstick (about 4' long), the right angle oil filter adapter, and the transposition of some of the installation locations that messed with the wiring (either needed 3" and had 3', or needed 3' and had 3") - batteries are located on opposite sides, which changes all the power runs (starter, alt, a few sensors). Also the van intake, which actually worked out OK for now, puts the air box right on top/behind the radiator.

Took it on a road trip, about 800 miles, and she did great. Something is a little squirrely in the tranny/t-case, but still troubleshooting that.

I'll add pics to this when I get to go through them

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks. I have the pics from the swap at home (on the road now). I'll shoot some of the finished product around mid-week and post them up.

Looks like I just lost the transfer case, so been working that one...keep driving the weak link further down the driveline :banghead

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Added final install pics.

Transfer case issue was a worn shift fork, among other things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts