Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the starter on my 79 is needing to be replaced, and ive already got the replacement, but the problem is i can only get to one of the mounting bolts. the top one is obstructed by headers, oil pan, tranny, etc. help!

next question: i need to replace the oil pan gasket (its leaking) but the only ones i can find are the crappy 3 piece ones with the cork sides and the rubber front. i was hoping to find a one piece one. anyone know where i could get that?
also, can i just crawl under there and unbolt the oil pan? obviously drain the oil frst.. then just go to work?

thanks

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have had starter bolt situations where I have had to run a series of long extensions and "wobblies" (universal joints) on my ratchet in order to reach the starter bolt. Doing so by holding the ratchet up near the radiator shooting the extensions down along the engine block, over the crossmember, and snaked around the headers, etc.

Anyhow, without good pictures to see what you need to do?

As far as the gaskets, the only one I am familiar with is the one you have. If you just take your time and use generous amounts of RTV at the intersection of pieces, you will be fine. Also don't tighten the bolts down too much, just enough to snug them where they will stay put, but not ruin the cork.

Yes, just climb under there and get your hands dirty. Take your time, a bolt at a time, and don't rush it and stop and ask questions if you feel uncomfortable. It really is an easy job, the oil pan is just a big oil catch bolted to the bottom of the engine block ... nothing more.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool, thx man.
another dumb question:
on every other car ive worked on (mostly chevys) the starter is bolted on with the bolt heads on the starter side, and the bold ending in the bellhousing/tranny area. however, it looks like the bottom bolt on the bronc is set up that way, but from what i can see it seems like the top bolt is going the other way (head is tranny side and the end of the bold goes through the bracket on the starter).

am i not looking at the right bolt, or is that just how its set up? thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts