Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well today my truck started acting funny, i would go to crank it, and it would click and everything dim, but not turn the truck over. so i would keep on, and eventually it would just turn and crank with plenty of power. it only seems to do it once its been sitting for a few hours. sometimes i had to try to start it 10 times before it would try to turn over. the battery acted fine, it seemed like the starter was dragging. well i killed my battery, checked it with a volt meter, jumped it off and took it to advance. the cells in the batter were smoking, and it only tested at 6 volts and wouldnt hold charge. well they replaced it, and its still doing the same thing. they think the starter is killing my battery. the solenoid does click. tommorow im going to take the starter off and check the connections really good, and have them test it at advance and see wahts going on. i checked the starter today to make sure it was tight, and it was, and the cables seem tight, but im gonna inspect it better tommorow. anybody have any suggestions of what it might be? thanks

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
check the condition of all the wires going to the battery and starter and relay....check all grounds and all terminal hardware.

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
update

tried to crank it this morning, did the same thing it was doing. dims the lights, clicks once, but acts as if the engine is froze. after doing this about 10 times, i got it to start. took the starter off, had it tested, and it test good. it only does this if it hasnt been driven in a few hours, and if its the first time its started of the day, its reallly bad. all the connections are clean. its not doing it right now, but it prolly will in the morning. im going to get my dad to use his meter to check the ohms of resistance in the wires. anyone have any other ideas
?

·
Banned
18,618 Posts
It's a lot easier to test the voltage WHILE the starter is engaged. The resistance is so low anyway that you probably won't be able to tell anything, but once that much current is flowing, the voltage will make it obvious. Start on the battery POSTS (not the clamps), and compare that to what you get across the starter.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
Could be a 'dead spot' in the starter. Usually hitting it with a hammer a couple times will make it kick in & spin. :smash :smash :smash

Of course, this isn't the correct way to fix it, but sometimes ya find this stuff out when you have to be somewhere. :toothless I agree with Steve; the voltage drop checks should tell you something. If it were me, and it was pretty much hit-and-miss as yours appears to be, I'd just replace the cables, solenoid, and starter to be done with it. Any way you look at it, you're messing with 10+ year-old electrical parts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
At the shop we usually would hit the starter with a hammer if it worked after that you know the starter is bad and needs to be replaced if it does not it could be the solenoid or it still could be the starter. I would start by replacing the solenoid since it is cheaper then the starter.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Sounds like a bad starter to me. Swap it before it claims another battery. :)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
happen to me befor also. replace starter 3 times battery twice and cables. finally found the problem. my battery clamp was bad....:doh0715:

·
Dead Horse
5,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ever since i took it all apart to have it tested, now it works fine. normally i have alot of problems getting it to crank in the mornings, but since i put the starter back in i havent had any problems with it. maybe it was just making a bad connection. if it starts doing it again, ill just go ahead and get a new starter. thanks for the help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts