Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive noticed since I got my '96 bko there is a slight pinging noise coming from insid the engine compartment. At idle, its not too bad, but give it some gas and its a god-aweful pinging noise. I idled the truck and got under the hood. I noticed that the sound is coming from the starter. (I'm 99.9% sure)

What causes this? Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it, and about how much am I looking at to fix it? I dont think its a real problem because my bko has been running awesome for months but I cant STAND the noise!

·
Registered
156 Posts
IT is 2 bolts to take the starter off the block. and 1-2 wires connected to it. You can take it off and take it to Advance Auto and they can test it. Look at your teeth on your starter and flywheel and see how they look. Check to see if there are any type of heat shields down there rattling too. I have an 84 so I cannot relate a whole lot. You just have to look and see when its cool check to make sure everything is tight.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've checked the heat shields on the cats already. It's not them.

·
Registered
308 Posts
you have a 96' with an E40D im assuming, and im assuming that you take it off roading. there is a small access plate as part of the dust shield that is down by the starter if it is bent in the slightest bit it will hit off the flexplate. i've done it, just check while your down there.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do I have to take the starter off to see if the dust plate is bent?

·
Registered
308 Posts
no if u lay underneath ur BKO ull see what looks like an acess panel between the engine and transmssion. two 3/8 bolts and it comes right off, bend the bolt flanges so that it forces the sheild toward the engine at the top, while your down there check for starter bits.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts