Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i searched the forum and i did all the things that i found about this problem..... When i turn my key to the run position my starter kicks on and proceeds to crank until i eather turn the key back to the off position or i pull the little wire off the solanoid... so far i have replaced the ignition switch, replaced the solanoid, replaced the lock cylinder, and had the starter tested (passed), and i have checked all my battery grounds... and guess what the problem is exactly the same.

·
Registered
222 Posts
what happens when you put the wire back on does it start cranking again.from what your describing the problem is between the ignition switch and the solenoid. are you sure the actuator rod is not sticking.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if thats the rod between the key and the ignition switch then yes i am sure cuss i can wacth it move with everything ripped apart... also the problem happens as soon as you put the key into the run spot (not turning it to start position first)

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sounds like you need to try to adjust the ignition switch. More than likely the switch needs to move a little bit away from the steering wheel.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tried that just now and nothing so i took the switch off the the colum and held it and manuall moved it into the run position and same thing happened

·
Registered
157 Posts
When you turn the key to the start position and let it go, does the rod move back, as in to the run position?

·
Registered
222 Posts
i'm thinking a short if the starter cranks when you only turn the switch on. you could isolate the wire that runs from the switch to the solenoid and pull it out of the plug. then test for power when you turn the switch on. (your testing the switch not the wire) if you get no power then push the switch to start. if you get power then you know you have a short. hope this makes sense.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^ +1 hes got it on the head 2 things must be happening for that starter to engauge.. most have ground must have power... the switch sends the power.. i think your problem would be in the switch or a short.. by pass the current wire and run a new one. see if that elimnates the problem after you locate the wire and test the switch...

new parts can fail too.. dont rule a piece out because its been replaced

1 - 8 of 8 Posts