Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was wondering if you guys could answer a question for me? Yesturday while driving my 88 I6 Fullsize. I went to start it and nothing:banghead :banghead :banghead . The starter just spinned. So i assumed it was just loose. I Go to get the tools only to find out the bottom hole is stripped out and the top mount snapped of the starter:twak . So i need a new starter no biggie. My question is what should i do about the stripped out bottom hole? I figured i could jus get a longer bolt and put a nut on the end since the hole has an open back since the mount kinda protrudes off of the engine( sorry for the bad explanation i'm not exactly good with that i hope you guys can get an idea of what i am talking about.) but my father told me that it will snap that peice off of the housing screwing me even more. What do you guys think? I'd say heli coil but i think it would be extremely hard to get a drill down there with out moving alot of junk and using a lift. Since i'm only 17 and freshly laid off from my job. I'm tryna keep this as cheap of a fix as possible. FYI i'll be doing all the work myself if i can. THanks in advance for you guys help laters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
you prolly need to figure out why the starter got spit out first! i ran with the bottom hole stripped out a bolt through it for a couple of years on my 460 and i never once had a problem. gotta make sure both top and bottom bolts are tight

-cutts-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fishmanndotcom said:
you prolly need to figure out why the starter got spit out first! i ran with the bottom hole stripped out a bolt through it for a couple of years on my 460 and i never once had a problem. gotta make sure both top and bottom bolts are tight

-cutts-
I'm prettty sure it spit the start out because the bottom hole stripped out. Wich caused it to vibrate very hard wen starting wich eventually caused the top mount to snap. I figured if i just put a bolt thru it there wouldn't be any problems but my dad had a point since the way the pressure is distributed would be diffrent. Plus if I am wrong and it snaps off my dad will flip shit on me..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts