Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so a few weeks ago the bronco wouldnt start.
after many clicks with the remote starter, it fired back up again and i went ahead and replaced the positive cable, starter relay to starter, and I replaced the starter relay on the fender. After all that I still just get a single click from the relay. After clicking the remote starter enough, the relay to starter cable gets a bit hot at the starter.

I got a new battery cable assembly and made my own relay to starter cable. The cable is made out of 12 gauge wire I got from home depot and has a crimp/heat shrink ring terminal that goes to the relay and a crimped on female connector that goes to the starter.

Is it safe to say the starter is bad? All it does is a single click at the relay each turn of the key.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I got a new battery cable assembly and made my own relay to starter cable. The cable is made out of 12 gauge wire I got from home depot and has a crimp/heat shrink ring terminal that goes to the relay and a crimped on female connector that goes to the starter.
12g wire is far to small for the wire from the solenoid to the starter. This cable can literally carry hundreds of amps if there is a hard start condition. I would guess that even a normal easy start comes in around 60+ amps.

It may or may not stop the starter from turning over, it absolutely will pose a fire risk.

Aside from that, drop the starter, and go have it tested. It's not a super bad job and just about any parts store should be able to check it for you. At the very least they should be able to tell you if the motor is working or not.

Good Luck,
Jason

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was told that 12 gauge wire would be fine from the fender relay to the starter. What gauge would you say would be fine? Plus, the fender relay to starter uses a female to male connector at the starter, can this kind of connection be crimped to a 6 gauge wire?

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
If you are saying fender to starter "key switch", 12G is fine. If you are saying fender to starter, it has to be a cable.

If you jump the car, does it do the same thing? I suspect the starter is bad. But it wouldn't hurt to check ground cables. You could check it eazy by jumping directly to the starter from your battery with jumper cables. (Both ground and hot)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts