Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend I am to take my kids & grandkids to a fishing tournement. Saturday pack up bronco to be ready for 5 am on Sunday. Sunday morming at 4:45 am put the key in go to start and one single click (more like a clunk) and nothing. Try in neutral same thing back in park same thing. Get out my electric charger same. Call my son he comes we hook up jumping cables same. By this time I am pretty sure it is the starter. Climb under give the starter a few love taps with a hammer. Starts up with no problems. So not to dissappoint the grandkids we head of to the beach to fish. Had to make several bathroom runs and no issies starting. (no we did not win any prizes and managed only one small fish for the day).

So after the long explaination here is my question:
How long do I have with this starter before I am stranded completly? or could it be a one time thing and go for a few more years? It is the original starter with 90K and a lot of beach wear and tear.

Thanks in advance for advice on how quick I need to take care of this problem. Fishing season is here and $$ is tight.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I've personally seen starters on trucks older than me with original starters that require a few love taps to get em working. Hell i've had a tractor that was about 30+years and requried a hammer and a key to start it. Starters aren't that expensive, esp if you shop online. Advanced auto has some awesome deals online usually $10off $30 puchase, $20 off of $50, $30 off of $100. I picked up a new starter for about $40. It's not motorcraft, but it works for the time being.

·
Man of endless projects
9,494 Posts
dont get the cheap reman starters. they tend not to like being used in anything under perfect conditions. ive been through probably 5+ starters in 2 years where the original lasted 20. you might wanna jsut take the old starter appart and see if you can clean it out and maby replace the brushes if needed and it might be like brand new.

·
FSB's Dirty Jersian
3,578 Posts
dont get the cheap reman starters. they tend not to like being used in anything under perfect conditions. ive been through probably 5+ starters in 2 years where the original lasted 20. you might wanna jsut take the old starter appart and see if you can clean it out and maby replace the brushes if needed and it might be like brand new.
Believe it or not, most of the starters bought at pepboys or autozone or advanced auto are remanufactured. You put the new one in, take the old one back as a core.

And to OP-

I've had a "Beater" starter go for as long as 6-7 months before I replaced (and it was still kickin). I'd replace ASAP though - 2 wires 2 bolts. Usually quick and painless.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Check all your connections before you go buying a new starter. check them at the solenoid on the passenger side of the engine compartment and check at the starter.

·
R.I.P.
980 Posts
That's usually a sign of a flat or dead spot on the commutator..the place where the brushes contact... and when you tap on the housing it just jars it enough to turn very slightly to make good contact and therefore the stater spins. You can pull the starter, remove the brushes (replace them too) put the rotor in a lathe and spin it while cleaning up the comutator with a smooth file or fine sand paper. Don't use emory cloth..it has a goo on it. OR buy a new starter:haha...once you start tapping it you wil always have to tap it.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
That's usually a sign of a flat or dead spot on the commutator..the place where the brushes contact... and when you tap on the housing it just jars it enough to turn very slightly to make good contact and therefore the stater spins. You can pull the starter, remove the brushes (replace them too) put the rotor in a lathe and spin it while cleaning up the comutator with a smooth file or fine sand paper. Don't use emory cloth..it has a goo on it. OR buy a new starter:haha...once you start tapping it you wil always have to tap it.
This can be said for many many things :rofl:

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
FSB member BroncoJoe19 posted a thread regarding "voltage drop testing" for starter motors so use the search and check it out but it sounds like the brushes inside are building up resistance, I'd replace it as suggested with a quality one.

You can also have it tested for FREE at the local auto store but "several" times for a passing grade etc.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been looking at my situation and have a new question. Is it possible that all is needed is to replace the starter solenoid? Or am I better off replacing the starter complete with solenoid?

·
Registered
305 Posts
Check your battery grounds too. Mine was acting like that and I found it was my grounds and the starter was fine after all.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Always test the right side (M) side of the "starter relay" and that cable going down to the starter motor, no voltage no start but if you have to tap the starter motor to start you need to replace the starter motor.

In some cases when you turn the key and you get the "click" there are several possibilities such as the battery, battery cables, starter relay and starter motor OR if you have to lift up the column shifter to start it could be the column shift linkage and transmission (TAB) are out of sync when yo go thru PRNDL and in some cases it's a simple adjustment underneath. Check for code: 67 AC circut failure, NSS = neutral safety switch where more then likely it's a "linkage adjustment" not the NSS so check your Haynes Manual depending on what transmission you have and see if this applies.

Just some thoughts, out of the box!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had the cables replaced (tired of starting ghost issues) last year so I am confident that is not the issue. The starter relay had also been changed in the past 2 years as well as the battery (checked that) I am confident it is the salt corroded starter that is my issue (18 years of jersey beach use). It will be getting replaced. Thinking of getting new from Ford as I am thinking I want to do a restore as much as original as possible. Little by little and hopefully before it is needed. Would like to get another 10 plus years.

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
Sounds like you got a handle on it BUT you might want to check out the AWESOME "starter motor" that www.fordfuelinjection.com sells, high torque etc., better quality product means less headaches you know......
:doh0715:

Formerly from Upper Montclair NJ 36 years ago.........Jersey still RAWKS! lol lol

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Starter is in. I ended up going with one from a ford dealer thinking I was getting NEW only to find it is a remanufactured. Disappointed but went with it even though I could have saved with other aftermarket remanufactuerd starters. It cost $30 to have it installed in under 30 minutes. Well worth it to me not to have to crawl under and curse the corroted bolts and banged knuckles.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts