Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have been searching the threads for a long time, but I can't find anyone with the same problem. Every now and then, when I turn the key to start the bronco, the starter does not turn the engine over at all. I know something is going on though. I hear a clunk sound and then a sort of mechanical wizzing sound. It almost sounds as if the starter is spining, but it hasn't engaged the fly wheel. After a couple of tries, it does turn over and it won't do it again for a week or two. I apologize if this seems obvious, I just want to double check if my theory seems like the possible reason for this strange occurance. Thanks for your help!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Sounds like your starter solenoid isn't working right. Check and see that you have a solid connection to the starter and the relay on the fender by your battery. If those are good get down there, by your starter and have someone try to start it up, observe what happens. Repeat several times if necessary.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Actually the solenoid is working.You starter is spinning,the wizzing sound,the starter itself has a bad bendix,sticky bendix which isn't kickin the drive gear out,IMO just get yourself a rebuilt starter and you should be good to go.

·
Banned
17,887 Posts
That style of starter uses a swinging pole shoe to move the Bendix into the ring gear, so remove the "hump" on the starter (1 small screw) and inspect it. You should be able to push the pole shoe down easily & smoothly until the drive gear hits the ring gear. Disconnect the coil connector & have an assistant crank it a few times while you observe the pole shoe's movement. If it binds, hits the starter housing, or has any shiny spots from rubbing, replace the starter.

The hook on the back end of that pole shoe operates a switch - inspect it for carbon buildup, arcing, or welding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the help. Thats why I like this site. I am going to pull the starter out then. thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts