Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not found a solution yet. Still searching, but I need to get this thing moving. My Bronco decided to quit. I got into it on Friday, drove around a bit. It started like a champ. No problems. Parked it Friday and when I came back to it Sunday evening the Battery was dead. Hooked it up to an Explorer and got minor clicking. I thought it was a frozen starter. Tapped on it, tried again and realized it was the starter relay (the red box right next to the battery, just making sure I am thinking correctly) that was vibrating like crazy with a car starter on it. I turn on the 50 amp starter and the Relay starts the loud fast click, but the starter doesn't react at all. When I use a screw driver to jump the relay, it sparks, then everything shuts down. I hear a click that sounds like a reset and the hood light comes back on. Help please.

Oh, Fuel pump goes on and off correctly.

James

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
If you have a dead battery, you have to let it charge for a few minutes before trying to start it otherwise you will just get that clicking.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I use a screwdriver to connect the posts on the relay, I have to move them around to get spark, but no turning of the starter happens. On the other side of the engine compartment there are 2 little black boxes which I am assuming have to do with the ignition swith that make some wierd noises. But they calmed down now.
Will a weak battery on 50 amp starter still just make that clicking?

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Could be a bad battery all together. Or a bad ground.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ran through a few more things. When I took the charger off there was barely enough juice to light the dome light or lock the doors. Redo the terminals and put a new battery in tomorrow and see what happens. If a battery is completely fried that will cut the circuit or put strain on the flow right? Well, I will narrow it down if nothing else tomorrow. Thanks for the wuick responses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
New battery, new terminal leads. cleaned all the cables up. Thing turns over like a new car. Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts