Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched long and hard for this with no success. there are alot of threads close to what i need but not solving my problem, so here I go. I have a 89 fsb with a 351w. I recently had to replace the ignition switch and lock tumbler and the metal piece that is inside the column that connects to the rod ontop of the column. when you turn the key dash lights and radio go on but no starter ingagement. you can jump the relay with a pair of pliers. i put a push button in and now the starter just clicks when you hit the button. my connection are all tight. the wires connecting the relay and the button get hot when hitting the button. wires are 10 ga. my question is there is a wire with a boot on the small screw of the relay that runs through the fire wall that is not connected to anything. my question is where should it be connect to? any ideas of what to check now. my son is getting tired of using pliers to start his rig. thanks in advance for advice.

tony

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have heard and read about steves wiring diagram of the ignition switch and turn signal switch but cant find it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yep should go to the threaded terminal with is the top one and the rear most terminal

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
no. on solenoid top threaded terminal and rear terminal. everything is on the solenoid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think i might understand now. on the relay there are two fat copper looking posts one closer to the battery and one closer to the firewall and a small post on top or above those two. i should hook the push button to the small post on top and to the fat copper looking one closer to the firewall?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
yep and make sure its in park or neutral if its a manual or you might get squished.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i learned that the hard way with my 78 f 250 camper special a few years back. its in park cause i have been jumping it with a pair of pliers for a week now, or at least my son has its his fsb. thanks for the help fellas

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
No the push button only gets hooked to the little stud where the little rubber booted wire was. The 2 big studs are for the starter wires, one is coming from the battery and the other is going to the starter. All the push button is doing is closing the relay to allow voltage to flow from the battery through the relay to the starter.
Since the wire got hot before(as it should since it was hooked up wrong) that tells me you don't have a fuse in line. You really should put one in if you don't want an electrical fire.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok so only put one wire to where the little boot was and to one post on my push button. my push button has two posts on it. so only one wire is needed small post on relay to one post on button?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,420 Posts
Now that you clarified it a little you were probably fine(if you add a fuse). The 2 lines on the push button are (1) battery power in, if you had this hooked to the batt side of the starter relay then yeah, I guess that was fine(sorry) and (2) power out to the starter relay(the little post). Add a fuse on the power supply line as close to the power source as possible.

·
Urban Assault Bronco
1,280 Posts
if it is like mine, i had 2 big posts, and 2 smaller posts in between them. power from the battery and a small 16-18 gauge in black color on first big post. 18 gauge-ish red with push on type boot on 1st small post, nothing on second small post and power from relay to starter on second big post

1 - 17 of 17 Posts