Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I am going to run a bunch of lights, 6 on the top and 2 in the front. Origninaly I was going to run a bunch of 30 amp relays and then I got the idea to run a 100 amp relay. But the problem is that the 100 amp relay is only avaliable through the internet so i have to ship. So then i got to thinkin would a starter solenoid work like a huge relay. Has any one tried this? Can any one see any kind of flaw with this concept?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
try napa. they carry a continious duty one for golf carts that somene used on a Taurus electric cooling fan install. there is a writeup for it and it gave the part number. i got a 200 amp one for $31.99 @ O'reileys. i think i posted its part number here already.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
ok. NAPA part number ST36, o'reiley's borg/ warner S5057, possibly SS134 will work too. its a 200A constant duty, cant get the max rated capacity from anyone. $31.99 at the O. i will let you know what happens. i have a diagram i can post. why pay more for the same setup from others?

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
steeeeeeeeeeve. save me one. soon as it thaws a little i would still like one.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
cool

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Crap I went ahead and bought a ford starter solenoid, like the ones that are found on the 79 broncos. Maybe I should take it back and buy one of steve's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know for sure if this kind of solenoid will not work, because I would really like to try it since I only spent 8 bucks on it. But if it won't work for an extended amount of time I don't want to waste the 8 bucks.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
it will work for a while and then it will fry. its not designed to do what you want with it. but go ahead and try it. whats the worse that could happen? fire? dude look for the 80 amp relay at napa and then call other parts stores with that number and it will be cheaper someplace else. worse case, get relays at the auto parts stores and use several like you said. they are rated at 30 amps. napa wanted $42 and i got it for $32. but if you want to save a few dollars and risk electrical fire. not trying to scare steves biz away, but those are battery cut offs. they arent really what you need either. you would have to modify it and in the end i think just getting the right part would be best. you have heard all the fire stories, do you want to risk your rig? here is the part number for the lower powered relay NAPA Part# ST85 and the write up for its use http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/taurus/

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Instead of buying that 85 amp relay I think I will go with this relay that is suppose to be used for a arb air compressor, it is 100 amp. 100 Amp Relay

I guess I was just trying to find a cheap way out of it. :twak I am going to try to find a local vendor for this relay or something like it. Your right Axe I shouldn't risk fire damage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts