Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried a few searches but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
I have a '79 Bronco with a 460 and a C6, we replaced the starter solenoid recently because we thought it was sticking, causing the truck to crank even after you take the key out. You can hear the starter stay engaged even when the truck starts sometimes, but if you tap on the solenoid it disengages. Now even with the new solenoid it will do the same thing, what might cause this? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
936 Posts
I have tried a few searches but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
I have a '79 Bronco with a 460 and a C6, we replaced the starter solenoid recently because we thought it was sticking, causing the truck to crank even after you take the key out. You can hear the starter stay engaged even when the truck starts sometimes, but if you tap on the solenoid it disengages. Now even with the new solenoid it will do the same thing, what might cause this? Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Are you sure that you wired the new solenoid switch correctly and how about the starter? Not familiar with 79's but isn't there a solenoid built onto the starter itself?

·
Registered
101 Posts
"New" solenoid only means that nobody OWNED it before you ... doesn't necessarily mean its good, even "new" off the shelf.

If a third solenoid does the same thing, then you likely have a bad ignition switch that is keeping the solenoid energized, by not removing the 12Volts the ignition switch supplies while it is in the start position. When you release the switch from the start position it is supposed to move back to Run position and release the 12volts of current that it sends out to the little wire on the solenoid.

The best way to check is with a digital multimeter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure that you wired the new solenoid switch correctly and how about the starter? Not familiar with 79's but isn't there a solenoid built onto the starter itself?
The starter solenoid for my '79 is mounted up by the battery.

"New" solenoid only means that nobody OWNED it before you ... doesn't necessarily mean its good, even "new" off the shelf.

If a third solenoid does the same thing, then you likely have a bad ignition switch that is keeping the solenoid energized, by not removing the 12Volts the ignition switch supplies while it is in the start position. When you release the switch from the start position it is supposed to move back to Run position and release the 12volts of current that it sends out to the little wire on the solenoid.

The best way to check is with a digital multimeter.
But if it was the ignition switch, then wouldn't it stop when i take the key out?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
The best way to test a "starter relay" located on then right inside fender would be to check the (S) right side for "voltage" continuity thru that cable down to the starter motor and if the relay is fine then it's either the starter motor or ignition as Worthy mentioned.

You can "test" both the ignition switch or starter motor by DIY or an Autozone store and make sure all the connections to the starter motor/solenoid below are in good condition.

Make sure your NEG battery cable is grounded to the frame, simply bare the cable to the wire core and secure it on a clean spot on the frame, usually there are pre-drilled OEM holes right in that area to use with a home hold down bracket AND you can also ground the starter relay off the the right inside fender. www.supermotors.net/17406 Starter Relay Ground ~ I made a video on How To, very easy.

I don't believe you can have both a "starter relay" and a stater motor solenoid, it's either one or the other....

I've had similar problems like this in the past, once it was the starter motor where it kept cranking even with the key out and the "starter relay" got very hot and smoked the ignition wire a bit...lol lol....and the other was the "upper ignition actuator" located inside the steering wheel where they break causing this similar problem BUT I don't believe the 79 Bronco has this set up.
My 86 has a key cylinder on the side of the column when triggered will pop out for repair or replacement which is then tied to a drive grear, tied to the upper and lower actuator, tied to a long rod that goes down on the column to the ignition switch so when the key is turned to "RUN/START" everything "rotates" forward simultaneously to trigger the igniton switch.

To repair an Upper Ignition Actuator you have to tear down the steering wheel to the Tilt or Non -Tilt knuckle just to get it out, roughly a 2 hour PITA job.....and the actual part only costs $10.00 made out of cheap pot metal....very poor OEM design IMO......

Consider yourself lucky not having this item...lol lol

Check here for additional Help: www.broncolinks.com

Good Luck ~

·
Registered
9,894 Posts
I had the same problem with the starter on my stupid dooty.. it was a problem inside the starter itself.. One of the bolts that you attach the power wire to h ad come loose and internally it was still making contact.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well yesterday the starter stayed engaged after the truck started, then after that the starter wouldn't turn over. I took it, and the alternator in to napa today and both tested bad. Tomorrow i should have the new starter and alternator on, hopefully this solves my problem. I will keep everyone posted, thanks

·
Registered
504 Posts
mine is doing the same thing right now
i burned up my solenoid and my starter before i managed to get a wrench on the battery cable and remove power
new starter and solenoid later i thought i was cured but it did it again
now i have a quick disconnect on my battery cable and im replacing my ignition switch to see if its the source of the problem
i have an idea what it might be after that and if it is i'll be sure to let you guys know

·
Registered
504 Posts
okay ignition switch has been installed and some functionality has been restored to my old betty
the old switch didn't do anything when you turned the key all the way towards you and now i can use the accesories in the lock position like its supposed to.
starts and shuts off like its supposed to

the ignition switch was a royal pain in the rear because you need to drop the steering column down to be able to get to it but in the end i finally got it all put together and working right

hope this helps buddy

·
Registered
504 Posts
and additional news for the starter issue
driving around today and the starter engaged on its own for no apparent reason
come to find out the wire that goes from the ignition switch to the starter solenoid has a short somewhere along the way and will randomly energize the starter
disconnected that wire and i just gotta run a new wire from the ignition switch to the solenoid and problem should be solved

sorry for the false lead
20 year old truck, these things kinda happen

good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts