Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My starter died in my bronc last week. Bought a new one on saturday and tossed it in. When i try and start it the starter doesnt disengage all the way. Its ground the crap out of the flywheel and the new starter. Probably missing about 1.5 mm of metal. Is there any way i can get a spacer to mount between the starter and the bell housing? Or do i need a new starter. It is installed correctly. I have gotten a suggestion to just throw come beefy lock washers between the block and the starter but that doesnt sound like a good idea to me. What do you all think?

·
Registered
226 Posts
sound like u put a manual starter on the auto trans or vise-versa they have different nose cones so make sure

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if those basterds at lordco gave me the wrong god damn starter im going to flip. I cant even drop my tranny where its parked stupid inclined driveway. If i have to much metal stripped then i have to replace the flywheel yeah? I told them exactily what i have in the truck too...

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
You can buy a starter shim to space it out enough so you won't have that problem. I had to do it to one of my trucks.

·
Registered
178 Posts
There is no real reason for a Ford to need a shim. On GM's it was because blocks were manufactured at different plants with different tolerances. But Ford does not have that issue. Also the ring on your housing is meant to be a locator, you lose that if you shim. I would try a different starter.

·
Super Moderator
25,791 Posts
yo,

The locating circle on the face of a Ford starter is made to different dimensions for manual and automatic transmissions. This keeps a person from mixing the two starters up since they look similar. If the starter does not fit in the hole ..... this indicates that a person either has the wrong starter or the wrong intermediate plate. Do not enlarge this hole or grind on the starter to make it fit, instead change the incompatible part... this is by powermaster for the

Drives, Exploded, Ford 2 bolt type, Shims needed due to worn thrust bearings in engine; "...This condition is the result of the drive engaging too deeply into the flywheel. The face of the drive is rubbing on the flywheel and gradually cutting into the cover that holds the drive together. Eventually, it cuts through and the drive comes apart. The damage is not caused by a problem with the starter. It is because the flywheel is floating as a result of worn thrust bearings, located inside the engine block, whose function is to keep the crankshaft centered. This wear can be enough to cause starter and ring gear engagement problems on an engine with 60,000 or more miles. It might take a long time to destroy the original starter, but when a new unit is installed, the drive can be quickly destroyed. Therefore, it is important to properly diagnose this problem when inspecting the customers original core rather than providing him a replacement unit. Shims are availalbe from OCA, part number F.S.S.2B
Source: by mrreman.com via web.archive.org

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I shimmed it and its starting fine. But if that is the issue then i am going to have to pull this block sooner than i thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts