Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched for this but every word was too short or too common except "key", doesn't help much.

Stats: 78 Bronco, 460, C6. Brand new starter, new soloniod.

Problem; turns over when the battery is connected. Doesn't matter if key is on or off, I even unplugged the ignition and it still turns over as soon as I touch the battery connections. This didn't always happen, it ran fine when I bought it, and then after sitting for a month this problem started.

Help me diagnose, where should I start looking?

·
Registered
331 Posts
sounds like you bought your starter at Autozone... same thing happened to me last year, had to take it back and get another one... or you have a short across the positive and negative...

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking it's a short, wondering where to start looking, wires on the soloniod look correct.

This happend with the original starter, replaced the starter with a new one and it's still happening.

·
Registered
41 Posts
a connection over pos and neg wouldnt do anything besides arc. have you replaced anything else (like the solinoid)?check your wires first. then connect the battery and tap on the solinoid. then after that i would look at the ignition module.

·
Registered
331 Posts
huh... well if nothing else changed between the time it was working properly and when it was shorted, you have crossed the +/- somewhere...

·
press ALT+F4
4,281 Posts
Pull the small wires off of the solenoid and reconnect the battery. If it still happens, the solenoid is stuck and needs replaced. If nothing happens when you reconnect the battery, then the wire to the solenoid is energized when it shouldn't be and that would lead you to the ignition switch.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so soloniod must be stuck then because the ignition is completely out of the truck. I will try disconnecting the small wires tomorrow and post up if anything changes.

Soloniod was new when i bought the truck in running condition (drove it around twice). haven't touched a single wire until i replaced the starter (after the problem started) and removed the ignition from the truck.

Thanks for the replies guys :thumbup

·
Registered
101 Posts
Pull the small wires off of the solenoid and reconnect the battery. If it still happens, the solenoid is stuck and needs replaced. If nothing happens when you reconnect the battery, then the wire to the solenoid is energized when it shouldn't be and that would lead you to the ignition switch.
x2

The Positive cable (red/+) attaches to the Solenoid, which is mounted near the Battery as you know. All your power wires that run power up to the dash, headlight switch, ignition switch, etc, are also attached to that same large post on the solenoid. In doing so, that positive + cable then relays the battery power up to those wires and into the various locations where Constant power needs to be, like at the ignition switch.

The other large post on the solenoid is for the power cable that goes down to the starter. That wire is supposed to have ZERO power going thru it until the ignition switch (key) is turned to the 'Start' position. Anyhow, the starter is grounded (-) through it's metal casing, as it is bolted directly to the engine/bellhousing. The engine then has a ground cable bolted up to the battery, so that the current travels thru the power cable and returns back to the battery via the engine block and it's ground cable.

The small post on the Solenoid is from the ignition switch (key). That post is only supposed to get power when the key is turned to 'Start'. The first large solenoid post will always have power because it is bolted directly to the battery via large + cable. So that one always has power, and when you turn to start the small post gets power returned from ignition switch. Those two posts then have power which trips the Solenoid to relay that power over to the other large post and down to the starter ... where the starter is supposed to turn over, but stop when key is released.

Since this is not occuring, you have one of two problems. That little post on solenoid is getting power from ignition switch (less likely) ... OR the solenoid is bad and is relaying the power on it's own without the little post influencing that.

You might also have another little post on the Solenoid labeled 'I', and that is for the 'Ignition', meaning out to distributor/coil, as was the case with older style vehicles. That post is not a worry to your issue, only the small post labeled 'S'.

Easy fix ... a good multimeter is a worthwhile investment, and at least a 24v/12v test light. Good Luck.

Reactions: wessongroup

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
537 Posts
Searched for this but every word was too short or too common except "key", doesn't help much.

Stats: 78 Bronco, 460, C6. Brand new starter, new soloniod.

Problem; turns over when the battery is connected. Doesn't matter if key is on or off, I even unplugged the ignition and it still turns over as soon as I touch the battery connections. This didn't always happen, it ran fine when I bought it, and then after sitting for a month this problem started.

Help me diagnose, where should I start looking?
...its not your starter...your starter is getting power when it shouldnt..sounds like your sloenoid is shorted out

If you have a meter i would disconnect the starter cable at the solenoid and check for voltage passing through the solenoid when you attach your battery cable to the battery...if you are passing voltage with the key off disconnect the little wire on the solenoid so it has no way to turn on..if you are still passing power i would say your solenoid is shorted and you need a new one (or you have a powerwire touching something it shouldnt that is leading to the out post on the solenoid)....if it stops passing power with the little wire disconnected then you have a short in your ignition circuit....

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm wondering if the solenoid is hooked up correctly. Can you post a picture? What do you mean when you say all of the ignition is out of the truck?
I agree with everyone else that starting by testing the solenoid is most likely to isolate the problem but no one mentioned yet that the wires may be connected to the wrong posts on the solenoid which would cause this symptom.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help guys. Pulled the small wires off and it was still going so i beat it with a hammer and it works most of the time now. I'm going to pick up a new soloniod tomorrow so I don't have to worry about it. :thumbup

·
Registered
1 Posts
finally fixed

I had my starter continue to run before i could get the battery cable off until it ruined the starter with the key off. I replaced the starter and solenoid only to have it do it again a few days later . replaced the solenoid again and alternator went out during this time. I read on the forums where the ignition switch goes bad so changed that and the alternator and had it happen yet again went to another parts store and purchased another solenoid only to have it happen yet again , all of this within two weeks . Reading on this forum i saw where someone recommended buying a motorcraft solenoid . purchased it today and no issues yet but hopefully will fix the problem. Thanks for the help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts