Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 184 bronco. I went to start it and it would not stop trying to start.So I replaced the starter same thing.Not to long ago(2 months or so) I replaced the solenoid switch. Can someone tell me what is going on ?

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have a 184 bronco. I went to start it and it would not stop trying to start.So I replaced the starter same thing.Not to long ago(2 months or so) I replaced the solenoid switch. Can someone tell me what is going on ?
Check your Battery,Cables, and fusible links... :popc1:

·
Premium Member
9,990 Posts
(A) If it continued cranking not firing up then my first guess would be the "upper ignition actuator" inside the steering column is about to break, especially if you have to "rotate" the key all the way over with not much spring tension left, hard to turn. The part itself is only $10.00 made of cheap pot metal but in order to replace it you have to tear down the steering wheel to the Tilt or Non-Tilt "knuckle" to get to it, a real PITA job.....lol lol....BUT there is a terrific thread by bronco boy "ignition actuator replacement on an 85w/tilt" words to that affect so search here for that, it's a picture step by step How To which would at least give you some insight assuming this is the problem.

(B) Any trouble with the key cylinder itself, there's a slot right below the key cylinder in the metal column collar, key in the RUN position using a sharp pointed tool pushing up in the slot the key cylinder pop's out should you need to examine or replace it.

(C)There is a voltage drop testing procedure posted by Broncojoe19 to see even if the new starter motor has issues, I went thru this a while back with RickyB and he put in several new starter motors tested/passed as well and no go until he sprang for a better quality....

(D) Test the right of the fender mounted "starter relay" along with that cable going down to the starter motor, no voltage, no start along with all wires and battery cables that converge on it especially the single ignition wire on the little threaded stud that it's on securely otherwise you could have starting issues AND put no less then an 850CCA battery on your wish list and the BKO will thank you everyday.

(E) Check/test the ignition switch for voltage issues usually located lower down on the steering column, mounted on 2 studs with 7/16" nuts and a weird curved looking harness keeper, mine has one.

Your 84 BKO is probably non EFI so there's no computer to "pull fault codes" for elec/electronic issues unfortunately.

Additional DIY help:
Haynes Repair Manual
www/.broncolinks.com
FSB member El Kabong's - "baba loohey's favorite FSB links" and questions.

Good Luck ~ :thumbup

1 - 3 of 3 Posts