Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody ever had any problems with their starter dragging after the truck gets warmed up,
My timing is set right, i just cant figure its out.

·
Registered
315 Posts
:confused: your starter stays on until your truck warms up??? i dont understand

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
noooo

the truck will crank fine but if you turn the truck off after you drive it for a while, for example if you were drivein down the road, and stop at a store, and turn the truck off, when you go to crank it , the starter will drag and it sounds like the battery is dead but it isnt, its the starter draggin.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
mine did that just before it went out at a supermarket parking lot in Hollister. do yourself a favor and fix it now

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
:stupid It's a good time to replace that thing before you end up having to do it in a walmart parking lot...fog

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
4 already

ive already put 4 on it in the last 2 years i think the heat from the headers are makeing it get hot, but how can i solve it , dont they make like a heat shroud for a starter or something?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,983 Posts
We got a custom starter built here locally for a bud's scout. Cost about 150.00 bucks but it solved that problem for him...Also might try header wrap around the starter.....Good luck--Fog

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
i think someone posted a (how to) on making your own heat shield for a starter . just cant remember who. try a search
john

·
Registered
315 Posts
i know this probly isnt your issue... but it happened to me :duh

i was driving around a beater BII every now and then, and every once and a while the starter wouldnt engage, just spin, so i was like wtf! and i crawled under there and the bolt that held the starter in was loose/stripped and it would wiggle itself out, what a beater truck that was...

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
you can get a slip over starter shield. they do make them, lots of chevys have the heat problem even worse than we do

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Andy351 said:
mine did that just before it went out at a supermarket parking lot in Hollister. do yourself a favor and fix it now
Had the same problem with my truck. Figured I'd try other things first to make absolutely sure it wasn't the starter, which was the battery cables. They seemed to help some but the starter still did it. Replaced the starter and that almost fixed it. It still does it every now and then...maybe one time every few weeks. Well, at least now I can go into town without having to pop the hood for a few minutes to cool off the starter. Guess the relay is next up for replacement....

·
shibby
4,828 Posts
I wrapped my starter with reflective bubble wrap insulation found in the plumbing/heating department of a hardware store.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts