Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished putting together my 90' (351w) after a top-end rebuild (my first significant project with a car or truck) I was not sure what to expect on the first restart. I followed all suggestions in Hayes, Chilton, and the Ford Shop Manual: found TDC (compression stroke), set the distributor, etc. It did not start right up, as I said I am not sure how many tries it should take. Maybe one of you can help me out. Here is what happened.

1st attempt: It fired up. Oil pressure was good. It seemed to shake a bit. Then it cut out. Ran for about 30 seconds.

2nd attempt: Did not start right off. I gave it some gas. It started. Gave of lots of white smoke, smelt like ehaust (no gas smell). Then it sputtered out after about 30 seconds with slight shaking.

I gave it a break (about 5 minutes), let the smoke dissipate. Then checked the engine for leaks, gas smell, etc. SHIT! the number one spark plug wire had come of the distributor, probably during the belt adjustment. I put it back. I also noticed that water was leaking out of my exhaust pipe, and had actually spurted against the wall.

3rd attempt: Did not turn over after several attempts to start. Pumped the gas pedal. It started and ran much smoother than either previous attemtps(probably because #1 was now firing). As soon as I tried to let it idle, it died.

4th attempt: Did not turnover without holding down the gas pedal. Died with out applying gas. Seemed like it would continue to run if I held the rpms near 1000.

Please send me your comments or ideas.

Thanks

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
check your timing. how did you put the distributor in? Get the engine at TDC and point the rotor at the number one cylinder (nearest front on passenger side) i did this after mine and it fired right up.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Your timing may be 180* off....check that,......and since the #1 wire was loose I would check the rest of them just to be sure.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DcSkater602 said:
make sure you have the right Firing order going CCW...

fuel pressure? filter clean? everything plugged back in..

check that timing again...what did you gap the plugs to???

dc
Plugs are gapped to .044. I have it running now but it is a little rough. And there is a slight bit of grey smoke? I have adjusted the timing using slight twists of the distributor . I am now searching for the optimal spot by trial and error.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
Floppy said:
Plugs are gapped to .044. I have it running now but it is a little rough. And there is a slight bit of grey smoke? I have adjusted the timing using slight twists of the distributor . I am now searching for the optimal spot by trial and error.

There is no need for trail an error if you got a harbopr freight close by you can get a timing light for 13 bucks. i did.

as far as the smoke, what does it smell like? does it go away after a second or two?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imlikeojnow said:
There is no need for trail an error if you got a harbopr freight close by you can get a timing light for 13 bucks. i did.

as far as the smoke, what does it smell like? does it go away after a second or two?
This is the update. Got a timing light. Timed to 10.5 degrees. Idle is still rough, pulsing. There is black smoke from the ehaust, that does not let up but is worse at low rpms. The smoke smells fuel free.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I guess if you got black smoke you probably running rich even though you may not smell the fuel in the smoke. How about your fuel injectors, any chance they are leaking? or maybe one of your sensors is busted?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
mashori said:
I guess if you got black smoke you probably running rich even though you may not smell the fuel in the smoke. How about your fuel injectors, any chance they are leaking? or maybe one of your sensors is busted?
I had the FIs completely refurbished.

I used alot of WD-40 on the parts because the rebuild took so long (I did not wan parts rusting out). Also I sprayed Hi-Tack on most of the gaskets. Could those things be buring up since it is the first time I have run the engine?

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I suppose they could. I remember someone else who had done some paiting work on their exhaust pipes and got black smoke for a few runs before it all cleared up. I would think that it shouldn't idle rough if it's just a matter of gunk in there. I would tell you to keep running it and see if it gets better but I think there are people with more experience than me regarding a new engine. Does it die if you don't give it gas or does it just idle rough? get a chance to check the vacuums?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mashori said:
I suppose they could. I remember someone else who had done some paiting work on their exhaust pipes and got black smoke for a few runs before it all cleared up. I would think that it shouldn't idle rough if it's just a matter of gunk in there. I would tell you to keep running it and see if it gets better but I think there are people with more experience than me regarding a new engine. Does it die if you don't give it gas or does it just idle rough? get a chance to check the vacuums?
Just idles rough now, without adding gas. The whole truck lurches forward (in drive) with each hi-rev fluctuation of the engine.

I will go get a vaccum gauge next.

thanks

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
IAC having trouble maybe? I dunno, if its sticking and having trouble, it might do that... haven't had any experience with a bad one though, so I'm not sure... but always something that can be checked.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
mashori said:
maybe I'm reaching here but you sure that the timiting belt went on correctly? I don't know if it would be doing all this but it's a possibility.

Thats a possibility, though a sad one. I actually removed the timing chain and sprockets without aligning the cam and crankshaft notches. I slid them off and then back on. I was sure that the shafts did not move relative to one and other but.......I guess they do not have to be off by much. I am sweating now at the though of it.

Any way to test this idea?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
MAke sure you plugged everything back in. hell it is easy to miss something also it can only go to one place. check and make sure everything is cleaned up right. I broke some vaccuum lines on reinstall so that is a possibility.

ken

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts