Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys ive got a 91 5.8L bronco. i drove it a few times on thursday and then to work and everything was fine. when i came out of work to go home it would no longer start. it has fuel but no spark. ive gone through about everything. i cant get it to fire. i have yet to change the ecm because i dont want to front that kind of money for it not to work. as far as i can tell its either that or the stator in the distributor. anyone got any ideas for me. im gettin really frustrated and ill will take any suggestions you guys can give me. thanx ill appreciate anything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've never been in a 91 so forgive my ignorance (was a Chevy guy before my Bronco). You checked fuses? Are you getting power to your coil?

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
take the coil wire off the cap and stick an old plug or pull one from your block and stick it in the boot. have someone turn the engine over and see if the coil is putting out spark. if it is, put the wire back on the cap and check the plug wires the same way, or you can also use a screwdriver to stick in the boot.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is power to the coil but i dont think that there is any signal to tell the coil to fire. i can put a plug in the coil wire and turn engine over and i dont get shocked. but i have put a meter on the wires to the coil and they r getting power.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
The only "signal" it needs is a switching ground connection from the TFI-IV module, NOT your EEC. The PIP signal going to the ignition module should at least allow the vehicle to have spark, so that's where you start looking: connections & wiring, ignition module, hall-effect switch.

There is no stator in a TFI ignition. :twak :toothless ;)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have checked the module on the distributor and it tested good. i have replaced the coil and the rotor and cap. i went through the harness and all the wires r good. both wires going into the coil show good voltage when the key is on. the orange wire dropped voltage when the enginewas turned over.my impression was that the voltage would go up and down while the coil grounded and fired. i just have no idea where else to go with the dianostic.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have checked the module on the distributor and it tested good. i have replaced the coil and the rotor and cap. i went through the harness and all the wires r good. both wires going into the coil show good voltage when the key is on. the orange wire dropped voltage when the enginewas turned over.my impression was that the voltage would go up and down while the coil grounded and fired. i just have no idea where else to go with the dianostic.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
I would check for codes, and go from there.......its worth a shot bro.....?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
:twak

You shouldn't be checking for voltage on both sides of the coil. Just hook a 12V lamp across the coil primary, and it should flash when you crank the engine. If not, you have a problem upstream from the coil. Mebbe it is your hall effect switch. Check your Haynes. There's an entire procedure inked out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
not familiar with the hall effect switch so ill have to look in my haynes tomorrow. of course i left it in my truck so i cant look at it now.

·
Registered
303 Posts
OK.... here is what you need to know:

In the distributor is pick-up coil.... this sends a signal to the ECM and controls many things, injector pulse is one of them....

you have no spark, but do you have injector pulse? If you have neither spark nor injector pluse, then the computer is not seeing the distributor pick-up signal, and wich point I would suspect the pick up as faulty.... if you have injector pulse and no spark then most of the time its the module... this is the most common cause of no spark on these...

How did you test it to know that its ok??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts