Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i can start my ford bronco without the key in the ignition starts right up does anybody have this problem? how can i fix this or whats going on

·
green ones make me horny
11,154 Posts
yes, mine does the same thing. it is the tumblers in the ignition cylinder. Replace it and you wont have that problem, but you will have to have two keys.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Yep, my 85 bronco does this as well.. It's actually kinda nice, when wheelin anyways.. Throw the keys in the glove box and don't have to worry about it...

Spent a couple hours one time, looking for a guys keys that fell into a mud put out wheelin once. We would have just broken the ignition switch. But it also had his house keys, work keys, and other stuff.... Boy that was fun :)

·
Registered
202 Posts
mine does this also. but, i need the key other wise it just spins in the column without starting. It used to just start but i guess it got loose enough that it won't do that anymore.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I wonder...to remove the ignition cylinder you have to have the key. Turn it to the "run" position, there is a little hole on the side of the cylinder housing, stick a thin piece of metal like a paper clip or a small drill bit in the hole, then the cylinder pulls out. I guess if you can turn the ignition without the key, must be o.k. for removal.

Me, I would probably just leave it alone and run a wire to the negative side of the coil and put a switch (hidden) under the dash, to ground. Basically grounding (negative side) the coil. OR; you could interrupt the power to the coil, with a switch. Keep someone from driving off with you BKO.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
My Grandmother had a Fairmont, I think that was the name of it, back in the mid 80's that was the same way. Both her door and ignition could be turned by putting nothing more than a screw driver or knife blade into it. It came that way from the Ford dealership. She never got it fixed, figured if someone wanted that little car, they needed it more than she did and besides, she had insurance.........

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
I wonder...to remove the ignition cylinder you have to have the key. Turn it to the "run" position, there is a little hole on the side of the cylinder housing, stick a thin piece of metal like a paper clip or a small drill bit in the hole, then the cylinder pulls out. I guess if you can turn the ignition without the key, must be o.k. for removal.
IMO, this is your best bet. It takes all of 5 minutes and a trip to the parts store.

Me, I would probably just leave it alone and run a wire to the negative side of the coil and put a switch (hidden) under the dash, to ground. Basically grounding (negative side) the coil. OR; you could interrupt the power to the coil, with a switch. Keep someone from driving off with you BKO.
hmmm. can you explain more on the switch. or is it just as simple as you said it?
It would take more time, effort, and money to wire in a switch than it would to just replace the part.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
It would take more time, effort, and money to wire in a switch than it would to just replace the part.
It only took me about 5 minutes to wire in my cigarette so it works as a kill switch. Push it in and the truck will start, pull it out and it will not. I think it would be kinda nice if I didn't need the key in the ignition.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a 91 FSB the ignition switch works fine but, when i start my truck instead of rolling back to the run position it turns back to the off position which means that if i want to have it running for any reason i have to hold the key. Does anybody have any ideas as far as to why this might be happening and some direction on how i can fix i cant drive the damn thing anyway due to a locked up torque converter but i am trying to fix all the little things i can between the more expensive things.

yeah i know i probably should have started a new thread but i tried that twice already and they aren't up so.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts