Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay looks like my SAS is starting tomorrow, I finally got the vacation time to do it. Here's my question: Will the rotors, wheel bearings, and calipers from my '85 TTB work on the dana 44 from the '78 Bronco doner axle? All my stuff is new and I hate to have to buy it all again. I'm gonna take pictures of every step, and hopefully do a tech write up on when it's all done. Thanks in advance, Wiley

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
search STUPID (sorry, I had to say it) Your rotors and everything will..but your calipers wont. Some use IIRC T-Bird calipers from the late 70's because they have larger pistons or multiple pistons.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
Keep your calipers, they may work, mine did. I had the caliper from my '92 and was able to put them on my '78 caliper brackets..I don't know whether there are any differences between the '85 and '92 calipers though.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been searching non stop lately. Looks like I'll be buying some calipers for a '78 T-bird today.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
If your looking to save a little $$$ I will take $20 for a set of ford calipers I am never going to use. I will ship them to ya and if they work I will take $20 if not you can have them and sell them yourself.

·
Master of the Estate
3,789 Posts
no springs, He's using duct tape to hold the axle in place

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
PaulT said:
no springs, He's using duct tape to hold the axle in place
And PVC filled with concrete for a track bar.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stangmata50l said:
May I ask what will be so Ghetto about it?
Let me see how it comes out before I answer that. :toothless
lightnin said:
If your looking to save a little $$$ I will take $20 for a set of ford calipers I am never going to use. I will ship them to ya and if they work I will take $20 if not you can have them and sell them yourself.
Thanks for the offer, but I need them today or tomorrow. I work at a parts house, I get a pretty good deal on hard parts.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got started today around 10am. Figure we did pretty good today. Haven't started on steering or track bar yet, but it seems to humming along pretty good.
This may be the cheapest SAS in a while, as of now I've spent about $225 for everything, and I'll have to spend about $40-$80 tomorrow in bushings.:rockon
Here's some pics:
This morning, the last pic of my Bronk sitting on the wet noodle:

Shaved about 200 lbs of bull shit real quick:

What's a SAS post w/o this::goodfinge

Trying to figure this thing out:

Might end up w/ something like this:

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
Looking good. Some of these might help with your shock and axle placement.

It will move your axle forward about 1.5" whch might help with the shock prob. Look from the side is the axle centered in the wheel well? But you might have to work around your Body Mount. Just an idea.

Granted I made mine a little thick to give me a little more lift. lol

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We'll figure something out to get it back on the road tomorrow, but where the heck do I get those, and how much are they?

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
lol I made them. Chris Chu helped me out. The dimentions are on his superfor.org page Chris85xlt. I might be able to make a set for ya but I don't know how fast I can get them done.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you figure out a price and eta let me know. Those would've saved us alot of time today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The calipers should work, you need to use the 79 style caliper "pins" to hold the calipers in, and you need to use 79 pads. The tbird calipers are great but they do not use banjo fittings. which will require getting brake lines to work

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FordPerf300 said:
The calipers should work, you need to use the 79 style caliper "pins" to hold the calipers in, and you need to use 79 pads. The tbird calipers are great but they do not use banjo fittings. which will require getting brake lines to work
werd, I test fit them today and w/ the old clips they worked :thumbup

1 - 16 of 16 Posts