Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the strangest thing.. Changed the oil this morning, didn't start it as I was changing the plugs as well, also needed to replace the thermostat, so I figured it oughtta start right up after all that, being as though it was running fine to pick up the parts.

Oil change is done, start on the plugs..

Plugs are done, start on the new thermostat.

Thermostat is now in, time to start the beast.

Starts right up and runs for about 10 seconds and dies. Start it again, does the same thing. Again, and give it a little fuel, dies. Now I'm concerned and I'm thinking "WTF did I screw up?"

Look under the hood, oops, forgot to reattach the little sensor above the Thermostat, it's now reconnected and now it downs't even want to ACT like it wants to start. the engine cranks, but nothing.

I have checked all the plugs, distributor, all the sensors... I'm freakin' confused. Please help, this is my daily driver.:whiteflag

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
That's the ECT sensor you disconnected, more than likely. How did you check it, exactly? There's a procedure in the Haynes manual for testing it with a multimeter. Pull a spark plug out and see if it's wet, too. Sure your plug wires are all seated correctly?

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are POSITIVE you put the wires back on properly?

Pull some codes... if you don't know how, fordfuelinjection.com has an excellent write up on it

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
You need to verify you're even getting spark, man. Pull the coil wire off the distributor cap, stick a spark plug in there, rest it on something metal that's grounded, and crank it over. If the spark is anything but white/blue, let us know. If you don't even get a spark, you've got something else to look for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, checked it all out. Pulled to coil wire, it's got spark. The spark is whitish blue across the gap, rechecked everything else that I took apart and everything lloks right. Pulled my air intake and shot some starting fluid in there and it acts like it wants to start until if burns that off, which is like 2 secs. All the wires are straight, cuz I ALWAYS only do one plug at a time, plus I numbered all my wores and double checked the firing order in Chiltons. It seems like for some reason, I'm now not getting fuel. Is the fuel pump run off of vacuum on a '90 302? All my vacuum lines are sh*t and break pretty easy. It may be that I broke one while working on the rest.... I can smell fuel on the plugs, but like I said it's not "wet". Where do I go now?

By the way, you guys are great. Everytime I have a problem with this thing, I come here. And I have yet to leave a problem unsolved..

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not the smartest guy in the room when it comes to troubleshooting, but based on what you've said before, reconnecting the ECT sensor changed the engine's behavior. Did you try disconnecting it again to see if you got the original 10 second run? It seems that if connecting/disconnecting the ECT changes the behavior, then that's the place to start. If not, I think back to the plugs maybe...

You didn't do anything by accident (or intention) that would cause the Inertia fuel shutoff to trip did you?

KC

·
shibby
4,826 Posts
First off, if it's a 1-wire plug that you reconnected- it's for the instrument gauge temp sender. Has nothing to do with the engine controls. Second, borrow a fuel pressure tester from the parts store and see what your fuel pressure is. Turn the key to run and wait three seconds and turn it back to off. Repeat this three times then try to start it. This will prime the fuel system.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dustball said:
First off, if it's a 1-wire plug that you reconnected- it's for the instrument gauge temp sender. Has nothing to do with the engine controls. Second, borrow a fuel pressure tester from the parts store and see what your fuel pressure is. Turn the key to run and wait three seconds and turn it back to off. Repeat this three times then try to start it. This will prime the fuel system.
Then I'm going to do this. thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Can you hear the fuel pump humming? Your only gunna have one pump and its in the tank, just sit by the tank and have someone turn the keys to the on positon (not crank) and listen. You will hear the pump prime if its working.

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
611 Posts
Doesn't the 90 FSB have two fuel pumps? A low perssure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail just about under the driver seat?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Seabronc said:
Doesn't the 90 FSB have two fuel pumps? A low perssure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump on the frame rail just about under the driver seat?
my bad, your right...sorry for some reason i thought he said he had a 93... well its the same procedure just now you gotta listen for two...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Dustball said:

there are 2 temp sensors.. there is a 2 wire that hooks just higher and to the left of your thermostat.. this one goes to the computer. and there is a 1 wire sensor that is on the far right front of the intake. this goes to your guage on your dash. And my bronco will not start if the 2 wire sensor is dissconnected.

·
Registered
440 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.