Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new and I know from searching that almost all of yalls broncos didnt start at one time or another :toothless and i'm having the same problem...kinda

I have a 92 xlt 5.0 auto that will crank, but wont start. But it'll crank without the key and I've replaced the ignition cylinder and the same thing happens...ive been messing with it for a while and still havent found anything in the car or on the site :banghead

If anyone knows whats wrong with my baby please help!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
got spark at the distributor and plugs, dont have a pressure gauge but the rail showered me with fuel

ohh and i guess i didnt make this clear, but it'll still crank without the key...doesnt really make sense to me

·
Registered
60 Posts
not sure about your bronco but in my case, 86 bronco, i had to change the ignition switch on top of the steering column under the dash. my situation sound the same. it would crank great but wouldnt start. untill i sprayed starting fluid into the throttle body and it would start. it seems that the previous owner had changed steering columns and when they connected to the ignition switch they some how bent one the metal posts out. i had another in a box with extra parts. put it on and hooked it up and she fired right up.

like i said i dont know about yours but id sure check it out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just finished taking the whole steering column apart and together and the little posts dont look bent at all...i did notice a wire had been cut and fixed by PO so went ahead and re-did it for shits and giggles...still cranks without key and still wont start, anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
809 Posts
just finished taking the whole steering column apart and together and the little posts dont look bent at all...i did notice a wire had been cut and fixed by PO so went ahead and re-did it for shits and giggles...still cranks without key and still wont start, anyone else have any ideas?
I'd say that the "starting without key" problem means you just need a new lock cylinder. As far as the other, couldn't say. I'm fighting the same thing right now. I just did the ign. upgrade/ timing bump. Good fuel press, spark at the plugs(weak spark, but spark), and fuel in the cylinders. But she just cranks over and over without starting up:banghead Going out now to put all my old ignition stuff back on and see if anything changes. Everyone seems to be leaning toward mine being a bad coil, even though I do have some spark. I'll keep you posted

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Starts without the key? As in you can turn the ign tumbler without the key? Or it cranks by itself with the key/tumber in the off position?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it will crank without the key, when i turn the tumbler...already replaced the "thing you put your key in to start it" thought it was called an ignition cylinder, but anyway replaced that, fixed what i know figured out was a wire going to my wipers, and dont have any bent posts...and the problem still happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.