Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about 2 months now I have had a starting problem that occurs only on morning start ups.
What happens is I turn the key over, wait for the fuel pressue to advance, then start the truck. It has been pitter pattering then reving up to about 1300 rpms, then smoothing out to about 800 rpms at idle.

Well now I do the same thing at start up, but when i start the truck it putters, then dies like it isnt getting any gas.
If I start over and start it up it starts just fine and runs/idles just fine and I go.

I thought at first that it could be my fuel pump but I dunno. Never been replaced. The only other sign that i am getting is that the fuel pump makes a loud whine on cold mornings.

I would really like to try other things to resolve this before yanking out the tank to replace the pump.
Any suggestions?

oh and fyi:
Tuned up a year ago, new fuel filter 13,000 miles ago.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
If it has not already been done with your tune up, I'd suggest new plugs, cap and rotor, that might solve it, plus new ones can never hurt. Mine had a very similar problem, until I replaced those parts.

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
All done.

I have replaced
Cap
Rotor
Plugs
Wires
Fuel Filter
PCV
Cleaned TB
Cleaned all air hoses
F&F radiator
Oil changes (religiously)
Alternator
Etc. Etc.

I have been a stickler on maintenance so the problem IMHO is somewhere other than maintainence.

I really hope it isnt the fuel pump.

Is there a way it can be tested?

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,186 Posts
I don't believe there is a way it can be tested without having to pull the tank. How about the fuel pressure regulator? Did you change that. If you have a gauge you can test fuel pressure at the rail. Just a thought. I'm not sure how many lbs of pressure the rail is supposed to put out. I do know that typically if you use your finger to release the pressure on the valve it should shoot out. If it trickles out there is a problem.

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up to see what your fuel pressure is doing, thats going to be the easiest way to determine if your pump is taking a dump

·
Registered
7,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just called Ford, and they think it is the Fuel pump.

OEM Ford Fuel pump at my cost is $197.00
:banghead :banghead :banghead

The fuel pressure regulator????
Should I replace that at the same time?
Is it in the tank also?
If not where is it located?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts