Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79, 351m. we dont have any lights or dash the only thing we have is 3 after market guauges in the truck, but the original wiring harness is still there. I am having trouble starting. New starter solinoid, new ignition box, new voltage regulator and new starter (we had the new starter bench tested in front of us before we bought it).We also have new battery terminals and good battery wires. On the voltmeter the battery shows around 13 volts, when we go to start it it sound like something is drawing and so the battery dropped down to 4 volts. If we jump it off it will run fine and it shows the battery is charging. As soon as we shut it off and try to restart, it sounds like a dead battery.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,309 Posts
Sounds like a bad battery. Sometimes as they go bad, they will measure ok at rest, but not be able to handle any load. Your parts store probably has a way to test it under load to be sure. Also check the cable from the solenoid to the starter, to make sure it isn't grounding out anywhere.

You mentioned new terminals. The cheap clamp on ones are really only good for a temporary, get you home type fix. If you used the cheapies, they're probably ok today, but will cause problems down the road. It's normally better to replace the entire cable with heavier guage wire. Save the clamp on ones for the trail toolbox.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like a bad battery. Sometimes as they go bad, they will measure ok at rest, but not be able to handle any load. Your parts store probably has a way to test it under load to be sure. Also check the cable from the solenoid to the starter, to make sure it isn't grounding out anywhere.

You mentioned new terminals. The cheap clamp on ones are really only good for a temporary, get you home type fix. If you used the cheapies, they're probably ok today, but will cause problems down the road. It's normally better to replace the entire cable with heavier guage wire. Save the clamp on ones for the trail toolbox.
Well I took the bettery off my other truck and put it on with the same results, put it back on my truck and mine fire up no problem. The truck had clamp on terminals when I bought it, and they were on there for quite some time, and the cable used is like a 0 gauge, its about as big around as my middle finger. I will definatley re-check the conections especially to the starter.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
The pictures aint that good but thank you. it looks cool
someday you should get some better pictures of it,
I know I would like to see them

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pictures aint that good but thank you. it looks cool
someday you should get some better pictures of it,
I know I would like to see them
The local newspaper was there but I never could find pics, I will take some once we can get it running again, and when it gets warmer, the next big event is in march so hopefully i will have some action pics maybe some vid

·
Registered
533 Posts
starters will bench test fine, but draw to much power. it's the starter, or the battery to the starter wire.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Check the voltage drop across the power cable from the selonoid to the starter. I venture to say that the ground is loose or dirty. Clean the terminals, the ground(s), and the power wire to the starter and try it again. How are you jumping it? Power to power on the batt and ground to ground terminal? Or are you grounding it to the vehicle? If you are putting it over the terminal, can you pinch the terminal with a pair of pliers and have it start?

Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I tried all that, cleaning wire brushing and nothing, so just for the hell of it I took the battery off another truck and out it on, and it fired right up! awsome. It was weird though because the battery had like 13 volts before cranking so I figured the battery was fine, false charge I guess. At least I have a new starting system out of it, everything needed to be replaced because it was all factory original

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SWEET!!!!! Now get to work on those pictures Man...Pictures I tell ya!!! Pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i'm going to try to next weekend, i dont have access to a camera at the moment

·
Salt-Man
1,634 Posts
I'm just messing with you Oz. I know those cameras can be hard to come by, I bought a $20 one at rite aid, worked greatat firstnow it works like shet, you get what you pay for, and I aint paying out the butt for a good camera. but taking them to get developed is a pain too

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just messing with you Oz. I know those cameras can be hard to come by, I bought a $20 one at rite aid, worked greatat firstnow it works like shet, you get what you pay for, and I aint paying out the butt for a good camera. but taking them to get developed is a pain too
yea i hear ya, i may go ahead and buy on of those disposable, digital cameras

1 - 15 of 15 Posts