Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been having some charging system problems on my 78 bronco, I want to do the 3g upgrade but money is really tight right now. I got a new alternator and voltage regulator under lifetime warrantee, and I only have 11.9 volts at the battery. When I start it it drops to 11.5 and doesnt come back up. So I borrowed my brothers regulator from his '79 and its doing the same thing. I pulled the new alt. off and had it tested and it tests good. So I started checking the charging wires for continuity and the field wire is good, so is the battery wire, but I cant get continuity through the stator wire. I traced it to a plug in the harness and I have it from the end of the wire to the plug, but when I plug it back together I lose it. The harness goes through the fire wall next to the a/c box. I guess my question is does anyone know where this wire runs from there, where does it connect behind the dash? Im hoping maybe something has come unplugged or something. Hopefully this post makes sense. Thanks for the help. I have another thread about my charging system so a mod mght want to combine them

·
press ALT+F4
4,279 Posts
If you're chasing a green wire with a red stripe, it goes to the instrument cluster for the alt light and is fed from fuse F10. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So this is weird, I havent had a chance to work on the bronco but I was driving to work today and all of the sudden my alt. gauge went clear over to the charge side. When I got to work it was charging 15 volts. If the battery is low will the regulator let it charge that high? Also do you think a malfunctioning gauge would not let it charge?

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I drove the bronco today, it was charging at 17 volts. I think my new regulator is not regulating. Later in the day I went to drive it again and my battery is acting like its dead it wouldn't turn the motor over . Could the alt. charging that high fry my battery?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts