Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yes, i have searched (internet and this website)

well, i have a slantback soft top (like on h1 hummers) and it is an older style and there is no visibility out of it

and so far the STC Soft Tops are looking like my best bet for a safari style top

i like the fact that the windows roll, up and that it will fold down, so that it can be put baack up very easily

anyways, I have a few questions....

first off, i already have holes drilled in my body form my old soft top (and in my tailgate) so drilling doesnt matter to me

...also 1/2 the ppl on here say you dont have to drill into the body, 1/2 say you do...so which one is it?

but from what i can see, you drill the holes where the hard top comes off, well my holes are drilled in the area of body molding that is past that....

so i was wondering if anyone has some pics of the install so that i could get a little bit more info

i know what they look like and that they use a track system with zippers....but how exactly does it work, i can never tell fromt he pics

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
spaustin889 said:
yes, i have searched (internet and this website)

well, i have a slantback soft top (like on h1 hummers) and it is an older style and there is no visibility out of it

and so far the STC Soft Tops are looking like my best bet for a safari style top

i like the fact that the windows roll, up and that it will fold down, so that it can be put baack up very easily

anyways, I have a few questions....

first off, i already have holes drilled in my body form my old soft top (and in my tailgate) so drilling doesnt matter to me

...also 1/2 the ppl on here say you dont have to drill into the body, 1/2 say you do...so which one is it?

but from what i can see, you drill the holes where the hard top comes off, well my holes are drilled in the area of body molding that is past that....

so i was wondering if anyone has some pics of the install so that i could get a little bit more info

i know what they look like and that they use a track system with zippers....but how exactly does it work, i can never tell fromt he pics
My soft top install (STC) from back in '03:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=628&s=13093#content

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
massbronco - i read that and it was too hard to tell what im looking for in the pics, lemme go outside and snap a few so maybe it will better help people know what i'm talking about

shadofax - i have seen yours b4 and couldnt find it yesterday when i was searching, i know you did custom work on your tailgate....but on the body did you have to drill and holes?

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
spaustin889 said:
massbronco - i read that and it was too hard to tell what im looking for in the pics, lemme go outside and snap a few so maybe it will better help people know what i'm talking about

shadofax - i have seen yours b4 and couldnt find it yesterday when i was searching, i know you did custom work on your tailgate....but on the body did you have to drill and holes?
Yes, on the snap style you do. the newer (and more expensive) style utilizes existing holes for the most part. But keep in mind the snaps go into the aluminum channel not the body. The channel then has some screws that go down into the body where the hardtop normally rests.

·
ladies enjoy his
4,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks plug, that showed me what i needed to know...

my old top has holes drilled in it, but are not where those are...and since my dad works for a car company he wanted ot know when i needed to get the dents fixed and this helped.....b/c i am going ot convert fully to the STC soft top....i will need all my previous holes filled, and the snaps on my tailgate filled too, so insted of taking it in this week, i am not gonna wait til i have my soft top and save us some money getting everything done at once....

well i still have one question...i know the windows use zippers to keep them on and take them off (or you can roll them up)

but how does the basic part of the top stay on the truck? (the parts that attatch to the rails) i have heard some ppl say there top uses velcro and doesnt withstand speeds above 50..other i have heard snaps? so can anyone tell me what the STC uses, and if it works well at speeds above 50mph+

·
Registered
313 Posts
Okay, I have a question.

I have a 96 with the wiring going to the cap and all, but that doesn't concern me. My main concern is putting the hard cap back on. Is it possible to do with the track in place? I'd assume that it isn't, and is the tracking easy to remove to replace the original factory cap? I live in Maryland and I need the cap in the wintertime, it get's pretty cold and snowy sometimes. Any thoughts?

:beer

Tony

·
Registered
122 Posts
BoatDude said:
Okay, I have a question.

I have a 96 with the wiring going to the cap and all, but that doesn't concern me. My main concern is putting the hard cap back on. Is it possible to do with the track in place? I'd assume that it isn't, and is the tracking easy to remove to replace the original factory cap? I live in Maryland and I need the cap in the wintertime, it get's pretty cold and snowy sometimes. Any thoughts?

:beer

Tony
Get yourself a extra hard top, there are plenty that people will donate to you and do this project. http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62973

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
The STC soft top was NOT meant to be removed each year to put a hard top back on. That would be a PITA. You can do it but basically you have to remove all the screws for the aluminum channel to pull all the channel off, and of course you need to then store all this somewhere where it won't get damaged.

The top does just fine at speed, I've had it in some pretty serious wind as well. I would probably not go with any soft top like this in MN where snow might be accumulating on it overnight.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
there are diff types of tops. This fasttrack unit does not have any velcro holding it down, NOR does it roll up like the older top which did have velcro and rool and used more snaps which req'd drilling.

The fast track at least, is very sound in the wind, and fairly durable from the abuse I put it through (cold sacramento winters (not MN type stuff tho) hot sac. summers, lots of tree scrapes and pokes?

I dont see the big deal with taking it off. Its not that hard, shouldnt take more tha a half hour to swap out tops once you have installed it the first time.

·
Registered
8,256 Posts
plug ugly said:
there are diff types of tops. This fasttrack unit does not have any velcro holding it down, NOR does it roll up like the older top which did have velcro and rool and used more snaps which req'd drilling.

The fast track at least, is very sound in the wind, and fairly durable from the abuse I put it through (cold sacramento winters (not MN type stuff tho) hot sac. summers, lots of tree scrapes and pokes?

I dont see the big deal with taking it off. Its not that hard, shouldnt take more tha a half hour to swap out tops once you have installed it the first time.
Damon are you saying that it doesnt roll up "safari style"?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts