Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't quite find what I was looking for with the search. Does anybody have any recommendations, where to buy some braided brake lines. Thanks.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
I had good luck with pro comps on my 88. They worked great and never had a problem, it was lifted 4". I purchased them from my local speed shop but they sell them in Summit

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Skyjacker. They have sheathing on the exterior to help protect and reinforce the braided section.

But all things considered, I think I'll run a rubber line in the future. They're more durable, and they tend to give a bit more warning before blowing apart on you.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Considering both Dustball and I have had Earl's/Pro-Comp lines burst, I wouldn't recommend them.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
seboh said:
Skyjacker. They have sheathing on the exterior to help protect and reinforce the braided section.

But all things considered, I think I'll run a rubber line in the future. They're more durable, and they tend to give a bit more warning before blowing apart on you.

rubber lines also expand when hot, that is the point of a braided line .. they do not. It keeps the line firm

I have the Skyjackers and they are very nice .. plastic sheath is very good for general protection as well as exposure to the elements..salt, mud, etc

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah, but line heat is the least of my worries. *IF* the calipers got hot enough to heat the fluid and subsequently warm the rubber and make it soft.... the truck would still stop.

OTOH, if the braided line sheared off of the brass caliper block (broke one of mine when I was doing the D60) or the line burst (Keith lost one in Moab), the truck wouldn't stop. :D

I think the choice is clear. The cost of a custom rubber line should be considerably less than the braided ones as well.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Damager said:
rubber lines also expand when hot, that is the point of a braided line .. they do not. It keeps the line firm
Yeah.... in theory. I think this is another "in theory" item propelled by marketing hype (ala K&N). I mean I don't doubt that its' true.....but was it really a problem for 99% of us to begin with? Maybe on a high performance sports car driven aggresively, but I'd doubt that 99% of those on this board would ever know the difference.

I'd argue *for our uses* in fullsize Broncos, the industry just basically created a problem for us that we never knew we had, then threw out a solution.

Since returning to rubber lines my brakes are the best they've ever been. Maybe it's just that the pathetic Earl's lines were always expanding too much.

Nonetheless, there are strong arguments for keeping the stock rubber lines and just lowering their mounting points

1. it's cheap
2. it's easy
3. you're running stock parts available at any parts house across the country
4. it's cheap
5. if you're desperate you can even grab spares from the junkyard
6. it's cheap
7. it works fine

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
seboh said:
(Keith lost one in Moab), the truck wouldn't stop. :D
I searched for my previous thread on this but couldn't find it. Note the white hole just to the right of the Pro-Comp logo.

Fortunately we were in Park, Tanya was standing on the brakes while we winched the Dodge. Driving back to town with only one caliper working = truck pulls BAD. Looking for a replacement extended line in Moab = impossible. Running stock lines = priceless

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, I guess I'll just get some extended rubber hoses instead of wasting my time aned money with the braided ones. It could be better spent elsewhere.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
jermil01 said:
Thanks, I guess I'll just get some extended rubber hoses instead of wasting my time aned money with the braided ones. It could be better spent elsewhere.
If you can just move the hardline under the framerail you probably won't need extended anything (except for maybe in the rear).

You can kinda see my setup here:

Stock Bronco (at least pre-4WABS) used a simple line on the passenger side, but the driver's side had a tee integrated into it.

F250s and 350s were not like this, they used an identical line on both sides up front, and a tee on the framerail. I stole that tee from my parts truck (just visible above the framerail and behind my shock mount), and now both my front lines are identical. Muy bueno

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,449 Posts
wow, that sucks for the price of them to blow like that....i was doing about 60 or 70 in my f150 in the dunes and hammer the brakes all the time hard to see how quick i can stop and i am also always working the brakes hard and nver have had a prob, i bought them right out of summit though. good luck on your search though

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Keith_L said:
Stock Bronco (at least pre-4WABS) used a simple line on the passenger side, but the driver's side had a tee integrated into it.
WTF are you talking about? I thought it was the later models that were setup like that. Mine has a dist block mounted on the frame below the M/C, and hard lines run from there out to where the flex lines attach.

Of course, if Ford switched it mid-yr 90 I wouldn't be surprised.... what's your build date?

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
seboh said:
Of course, if Ford switched it mid-yr 90 I wouldn't be surprised.... what's your build date?
10/89.

Are you sure you don't have a tee at the start of your flex line on the driver's side?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,741 Posts
Keith_L said:
Are you sure you don't have a tee at the start of your flex line on the driver's side?
My father's 2wd '90 f150 has this. Dunno exact build date, but he ordered it from a dealer (not bought off a lot), and its got a Dec. insp. sticker, so id say 10~11/90.

My buddy's '90 F250 also has this style. Ill have to get the build date from him, though.

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,774 Posts
now thats scary. i am running the procomp extended lines from the frame to the axles front & rear. F350 booster and brakes. soon to have discs on all 4 corners. its hard to tell from the picture, but that looks like abrasion failure. like the braid was worn away and the line burst from the same abrasion making it weak and thin. i run stock rubber to the calipers, but i wouldnt hesitate to get the rest in braided. look in the back of the 4x4 mags and you will find classic tube and inline tube and they can both make you any line you need. i must not have a speedshop that custom makes line in my town, cause everybody says they dont do vehicles, just hydraulics.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
akmud said:
I had mine made at a shop here in AK. Their not cheap but I think that they will last longer than rubber.

Try a local hydralic shop.
I think that's exactly the problem, tho... I have seen rubber lines on vehicles go for 10+ yrs with no complaints. Usually they fail by getting a bubble in the line, or by showing cracks in the outer shell... then you replace it.

Steel lines are experiencing catastrophic failure after 2yrs or less on the vehicle.

Oh, and since Keith hasn't replied to this yet: His failure wasn't due to abrasion -- there was nothing nearby to cause it. The retainer was maybe 2" away.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts