Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently I am running 33's wrapped around some nice 15x8 chrome stars. But a buddy of mine has some 15x10 polished aluminum holeshots the big ones like the mikey tompson ones. should I stay with my steelies or trade him for the Aluminums. They are in exclemnt shape and should clean up nice. My steelies are a week old on the second set. Warranteed the first set do to rust. Any opinions?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I'd say it depends on how much wheeling you do. You can hammer a steel wheel back into shape if you whack it real good, a aluminum rim will usually just crack. I remember one of the wheeler mags did a comparison of steel vs. aluminum on a cherokee at the drag strip. The aluminum did provide a small decrease in quarter mile time, but I doubt you'd feel it in the seat of your pants. Also going to a wider wheel may cancel out the weight savings anyway. Which ones look cooler?:rockon

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
I have to agree.
For pure off-roading I would prefer steel as you can bend them pretty badly and they'll still hold air and limp you somewhere. Aluminum will crack if you bang them hard enough.

Aluminum is nice because you don't have to worry about rust and they sound like they are pretty nice looking rims.

How hard do you wheel that thing?
99% of the time you would probably be fine with aluminum off-road.
I'd say if your truck spends 90% of the time on-road and your buddy was wanting to trade I'd do it.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
A steel rim is easier to bend than aluminum and once it is bent, it makes freeway driving a bitch.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
truck spends most of it's time on road. I drive it back and forth to work everday on the freeway. I like my steel rims but my tires rub my radius arms really badly. I was thinking of doing som wheel spacers on my steelies but I don't know if I like that idea. I am off to the carwash to clean up those aluminum rims. Thanks for the input I will keep y'all posted.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
wheels seem to be cleaning up fairly well. I have 3 done. They look good. There are some minor blemishes but what can you expect from used wheels.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts