Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm stuck :)
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does my 6inch lifted 87 need longer steering arms... or not? my friends jeep needed a new arm badly, everytime he hit a bump he got the death wobble... ive searched and this is some of the stuff ive come up with....

hopper long travel ttb

1) The kits all start with using stock steering which works fine until the travel gets to a certain point then a steering upgrade is required, crossover steering is $2000. Others will argue but I think that the stock steering if used hard, it should be limited to about 14" of travel, otherwise you are overworking the rod ends.

steveG

2)All that aside, none of this really matters for a 4" lift anyway. With the correct dropped pitman arm the truck will steer just fine.
(this is for 4 inch though)

alabronco

3)I have the skyjacker. The brackets sandwich the frame, no drilling required. One bolt above frame, one under.
Gocx his responce to alabronco
4)same here only costed $68 helped kill the death shake from my stock steering components.

basically im just loooking for the easiest and cheapest way to correct any steering problems... Thanks in advanced to anyone with any advice!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
You'll need a drop pitman arm. It bolts over the steering box shaft.

Another and more complicated fix is to move the tie rod over the knuckles. TRE Flip

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You'll need a drop pitman arm. It bolts over the steering box shaft.

Another and more complicated fix is to move the tie rod over the knuckles. TRE Flip
ive got the pitman arm and its installed... is there a write up on the flip?

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
do i need longer steering arms... or what do i need to make sure the truck steers solid?

·
Registered
553 Posts
What crossover steering are you looking at? Mine only set me back about $400. That inlcuded the DOM tubes, hiem joints, high steer arms and 3" steering arm spacer blocks. I bought each part seperate and tap the knuckles myself. Crossover steering is wonderful!!

·
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What crossover steering are you looking at? Mine only set me back about $400. That inlcuded the DOM tubes, hiem joints, high steer arms and 3" steering arm spacer blocks. I bought each part seperate and tap the knuckles myself. Crossover steering is wonderful!!
i havent started looking... im still wondering if im gonna need to replace it...

so i can drive my truck, as is, and i dont have to worry about my steering wheel getting ripped outta my hands when i hit a pot hole?

·
fishin' without dad
1,069 Posts
I recently installed a 6" lift on my old 95. I put in a drop pitman arm and the geometry was so far off that I could not get it aligned! I had to do the TRF along with the drop pitman arm. Once the flip was done the geometry was almost like stock. Not real far out of alignment either. There are alot of threads about the flip. Just search: tie rod flip
I was able to borrow the reamer required from someone but if you have to buy one I believe they are around $50. It is a 7* tapered reamer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.