Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about two inches of steering (play/slop) travel back and forth while driving at the steering wheel, if I adjust the sector shaft screw will this tighten up my steering and take some or all of the slop out of it, is there any down side to adjusting this screw in tighter?

Thanks

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure why this is the wrong forum

1. wrong forum
2. do NOT just tighten the nut, it is not for adjustments, it is for setting the backlash on the gears.
I didn't read anything in the forum description that said no discussions on steering adjustments or questions about steering.

Can you please direct me to the correct forum, thanks.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have about two inches of steering (play/slop) travel back and forth while driving at the steering wheel, if I adjust the sector shaft screw will this tighten up my steering and take some or all of the slop out of it, is there any down side to adjusting this screw in tighter?

Thanks
I am curious about this as well. The steering shaft going into my gear box has a good 8 inches of play.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The down side to improperly adjusting the sector shaft is forcing the piston against the box wall causing binding and scoring. The proper way to adjust it is to remove the steering gear. Get all the oil out of it and with a inch pound torque wrench turn it threw the center CW and CCW and achieve the proper drag.

·
Registered
261 Posts
wouldnt do it, i did it and the steering wheel wouldnt return to center, i tryed adjusting it with some sucess and burned out my power steering pump somehow, but all is well now. buy a new box, be done with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts