Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My steering gearbox is leaking from around the shaft that the pitman arm attatches to .. is there a seal there that can be replaced or should I just swap the whole gearbox itself? :shrug

·
huh
7,195 Posts
when i got an agr box it spit the seal out the next day.. it was easy to remove and replace.. still ended up returning the whole thing.. anyhoo.. stay away from agr if you get a box..

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,643 Posts
mine did that, but i chose to just rebuild the whole box anyway.I posted a full write-up of the rebuild somewhere in the Tech Write-ups section.

Basically all you need to do to fix it is yank the pitman arm, remove the retaining clip, remove the dust seal, and yank the seal.
Reverse for install:thumbup

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,167 Posts
Damager, I just put the seal kit on this past weekend with the help of Bobby (John), ok, he did most of it. The hardest part was getting the steering shaft off the sector shaft and putting it back on, oh yeah and getting the lines to the powersteering pump off. The pitman arm also gave us a little trouble as well going back on. The rest of the installation of the seal kit went well. I don't have any leaks now, but your powersteering pump will make some noise until it gets all of the air out of it..I'm in the middle of doing a write up, which will hopefully be done by tomorrow. Click here for pics.

·
Offical FSB Map Maker
3,033 Posts
Damager, like everyone said it's pretty easy. I had a practically new steering box sitting on the shelf. The shaft was busted. I took the top off and pulled the shaft. Going to swap the one that's in my 79 now for the new due to some leakage.

Don't be skeert!!:thumbup :thumbup

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
jermil01 said:
Damager, I just put the seal kit on this past weekend with the help of Bobby (John), ok, he did most of it. The hardest part was getting the steering shaft off the sector shaft and putting it back on, oh yeah and getting the lines to the powersteering pump off. The pitman arm also gave us a little trouble as well going back on. The rest of the installation of the seal kit went well. I don't have any leaks now, but your powersteering pump will make some noise until it gets all of the air out of it..I'm in the middle of doing a write up, which will hopefully be done by tomorrow. Click here for pics.
It is nice to work in Johns garage:beer

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,167 Posts
Yeah, Oscar, John has a pretty good garage..That's the pic where I sanded the sector shaft down to smooth it out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts