Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where can i get a rebuild kit for a new used steering box i need to rebuild and replace the old one way to much play in the wheel.. its the original box on my 87.. i went to pep boys they said they never heard of em? lol imagine that i should have asked for a muffler bearing instead they probably had that..
thanks butch

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Napa, I just bought one for a Chebby blazer a few weeks ago.

There is a write up in the tech section with pics of every step and tips too:rockon

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
81Bronk36 said:

There is a write up in the tech section with pics of every step and tips too:rockon

thanks i didnt think it would be to hard to do just couldnt find the damn thing tonight.. i had to go to pep boys for my exhaust i just replaced the tail pipe and oem muffler with a 40 series flowmaster.. the reason why i had to go back is cause when i picked up the muffler i picked up 4 clamps until i could get good weather to weld it up with my hobart welder well the clamps i picked up were 2 1/4 so i open three boxes and place them on and go for the 4th there was the u bolt and 2 nuts lol i wanted to throw my old muffler thru the garage door i hate pep boys..

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts
81Bronk36 said:

Where is this write up? I need to rebuild mine too but couldn't find the write up in the tech section (or the tech section itself for that matter. Where is it?)

·
Currently FSB divorced
956 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Try www.partsamerica.com
I know I preach this website a lot but you have to go with what works.
There a part of kragens/checkers/schucks.
You find the part you want, it will even find the store closest to you.
You buy it on line, print out the parts list, and the store has to sell it to you at that price.
I just replaced my steering box last weekend.
The store wanted 334.75 for the box.
Online I bought it for 169.99.
A big savings, I know you could probley find it cheaper in the states, but here on the island
Its hard to find good prices on parts.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got mine at Napa for about 45 bucks. There is such a thing as a muffler bearing but I'm not sure about blinker fluid though. LOL

·
Super Moderator
5,286 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
There fairly easy to remove and put in. I would get a couple of people to help it makes it a lot easier.
The steering shaft that connects to the gear box, the bolt needs to come all the way out. For it to slide out.
To remove the pitman arm, get a forked splitter and a 3 pound ford wrench (small sledge hammer).
I don’t remember what size nut that holds the pitman arm on but I will repost in a couple of hours after lunch to tell you the size.
It was a real pain getting the breaker bar and socket on the nut. But if you jack up the truck frame, not the tire you can get to it fairly easy this way. It gets the TTB out of the way.
The gear box is heavy!!
There is only like 3 or 4 long bolts holding it in on the frame. You can access them from inside the fender well behind the drivers tire.
Its kind of important to keep the tires lined up straight during all this and make sure the steering wheel is straight too.
I had to remove mine a couple of times to make sure it was straight.
Putting it back in is a real pain lining it back up. One person underneath holding up the gear box, or a jack will do.
One person to try to put the bolts back in. one person on top trying to rotate the box to line up with the screws.
When its all good and done and installed and all linkage hooked up. Its important to jack up the tires then and put fluids back in the steering pump with the engine running. Turn the wheels to full stop back and forth. Doing this takes pressure off the steering pump so it want burn up.
Now go get some beer and celebrate.

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Funny the write up is called the exact same thing as this threads title, just capitalized the first letters of each word:wacko

1 - 15 of 15 Posts