Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the trick to putting on the teflon seals on the worm gear shaft without stretching them to much? I got all four on but when I went to put the shaft in-I got the first three in the housing but I couldn't get the fourth one in, it was stretched to much. I ended up cutting it now I have to go buy another seal kit. I did one years ago on a 78 and ran into the same issue but I got it in without damaging it, I must have got lucky. Anybody have any advice on what I should try? I even soaked them in fluid to make them more soft. The parts guy said try warming them up, then when they cool it should shrink. What do you guys think?

Thanks-

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I don't know what the issue is, but I'll sometimes use a socket that is the correct size to push things. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is sliding the teflon seals over the grooves on the shaft. By the time I get the first seal over the other three grooves its stetched to the point it doesn't fit well in the groove. I was just wondering if there is a trick to stopping that.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
maybe its not a problem. Can you get the shaft into the cylinder that it belongs to once the teflon is installed?

Once upon a time I did some maintenance on old water faucets and used graphite cord to wrap around the stem. When the stem cap was tightened down, the graphic made a waterproof seal. Do you think that it is possible that the teflon may fill in the grooves tightly once you get the shaft in place?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
when I rebuilt my 78's box you have to stretch those over the piston / valve. when you assemble it you need to be cautious not to nick them by squeezing them in the box's main housing. They will seal just fine once they are in there.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
I don't know what the issue is, but I'll sometimes use a socket that is the correct size to push things. Just a suggestion.
a socket will not help while installing the teflon type seals that go on the piston and valve inside the power steering box.

the socket will how ever work well on the seals that keep the oil in the ps box. :thumbup

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when I rebuilt my 78's box you have to stretch those over the piston / valve. when you assemble it you need to be cautious not to nick them by squeezing them in the box's main housing. They will seal just fine once they are in there.
Yes, exactly- the pick below is the worm drive that use the four teflon seals, they should be called plastic 0-rings- they are not on it right now but you can see the four grooves. By the time you get the first seal all the way to the last groove toward the center of the shaft it is stretched to where its very loose in the groove. My issue was getting the fourth seal in the housing when I tried to put the shaft in the housing- One little spot came out of the groove while I was pushing it in. I was just wondering if someone did something special to get them to shrink back to there original size once in place. Or is it just a normal PITA?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Boy.. in and out of all of those grooves would be a PIA. Perhaps you could cover the first three with electrical tape and slide the one "plastic" O ring into the forth place, then cover only two grooves... etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Boy.. in and out of all of those grooves would be a PIA. Perhaps you could cover the first three with electrical tape and slide the one "plastic" O ring into the forth place, then cover only two grooves... etc.
Yes it is, I guess I should have left the originals on that shaft, the large teflon seal is easy. I found a thread that said to leave the first three original seals in and role the new one over the old ones and so on, but that still really stretched them. I don't know. The parts store won't have another kit till tues, I'll try again that night,

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
When I did mine, I put the seal in the first groove, then put the next seal in that way it would not fall down into the groove and have to be dug out.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I did mine, I put the seal in the first groove, then put the next seal in that way it would not fall down into the groove and have to be dug out.
Sure, I cut the one farthest one in and slid the new one over the old ones and so on. Did you do anything to help message them to shrink back down after you got the ones in place? Did you soak them in PS fluid before you started?Do you think warming them once they have soaked would help?

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
no, I just worked them into the vavle body's cap that bolts to the box. just need to take your time and put a little oil on the rings and work them in.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
no, I just worked them into the vavle body's cap that bolts to the box. just need to take your time and put a little oil on the rings and work them in.
Thanks Jopes, I was hoping there was a trick I was missing out on. I'll have alittle more patience next time.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
put one end in a vice. then work the seals in with your other hands. It has been about 4 years since I built one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts